According to Sir Cliff Richard, Christmas is “a time for living, a time for believing, a time for trusting, not deceiving.” When is the time for deceiving, Sir Cliff? Easter? All Hallows’ Eve? July? It’s a weird sentiment, that’s all we’re saying. Luckily The Weekender is here with a Christmas special, which the more savvy amongst you might spot has some fairly tenuous Yuletide connections. Still be fun though…
Christmas Tweet of the week
“Worst-1987. Got pushed onto the candles at church during the nativity and set on fire. The priest had to douse me with holy water.”
@westings gives us an insight into her worst ever Christmas.
Christmas remix of the week
Everyone loves the theme from The Snowman. It’s a tinkly piano classic that builds to a cracking crescendo and sometimes makes us a bit emotional (their friendship was so pure!). What we have never thought is, I like it but it’s just not dubstep enough. Luckily someone else did…
Christmas behind-the-scenes of the week
It’s a magical time of year isn’t it? Time for something to puncture all that wonder and awe, courtesy of these incredible pictures of downtime on film sets. Gandalf in sunglasses? Mad Men stars looking at a Mac? Why not…
Goodwill to all men moment of the week
Want to see two elderly Canadian sportsmen have an actual fight over a flower? The bit at the end where the one guy turns to the crowd and shouts “sportsmanship” for no apparent reason just adds to how surreal it all is.
Christmas look back of the week (1)
Coverjunkie’s Best Magazine Covers of 2011 is great. That is all.
Christmas look back of the week (2)
Simon Garfield in GQ on 2011 in fonts is equally great. Now as you were.
Festive over-indulgence cure of the week
You know how it is at this time of year, the extra beer or snifter of mulled wine is too difficult to turn down, it seems rude not to. But come the next morning, with the relentless light of day coming in through your window and illuminating your pallid, sweaty hungover self and the detritus of the night before, it all seems like it’s too much. (Quote of the day after the It’s Nice That Christmas party – “I am so hungover I think I might just cry.”) Well fear ye not, Flavor Wire have compiled this list of hangover cures of the rich and famous. Just be warned, most of them involve more drink, and one of them is speed. Just take speed.
Christmas card-based video of the week.
Rob Ryan + Christmas + video = loveliness.
Christmas rundown of the week
The 20 unhappiest people you meet on the comments section of end of year lists does exactly what it says on the tin and made us chortle like Santa Claus seeing half of 80s pop duo The Pet Shop Boys trip over (he HATES The Pet shop Boys).
Cracker (of a) joke of the week
“To be honest the first half of this palindrome is much better than naht retteb hcum si emordnilap siht fo flah tsrif eht tsenoh eb ot.”
Very droll @simonblackwell, very droll indeed.
Christmas quote of the week
And so to New York where we learn from Holy Moly that Agyness Deyn is selling her apartment. But some of the estate agents’ spec seems to have riled the person tasked with reporting this momentuous news, and they write: “’Sanctuary’? What, is she an otter? And what the fuck is a ‘meditation room’.” Outstanding.
Christmassy use of blinds of the week
Kudos to the people at Landor Associates who did this in their central London offices. Sure it’s an organised sort of fun but looks spectacular (and is for Shelter, a great cause).
Pass the sherry dear.
- Best of the Web: the stuff we found online that we just can't wait to show you
- Cartoonist Nathan Cowdry introduces a strange and wonderful world in his comic, Western Voyeur
- Things: the August edition
- Andy Warhol: original FOMO artist, Polaroid photographer extraordinaire
- Bielke&Yang creates bright, playful Oslo Design Fair identity
- Bizarre film follows feline photographer Larry Johnson at New Jersey cat show
- No more serifs, same bright colours: Google launches new identity
- Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games logo scrapped over plagiarism row, according to reports
- The slides and sleep pods of LA's Silicon Beach startup scene captured by Lauren Greenfield
- Sarah Illenberger explores horticulture with her exotic new series Wonderplants
- Ely Dagher’s hypnotic and erotic animated vignettes for Model 86’s EP (NSFW)
- Matisse-inspired posters for Serbian Youth Day from designer Monika Lang