“Nooo they’re drowning! Who on earth am I going to listen to through my headphones whilst I walk moodily in the rain thinking about my ex boyfriend’s duvet?!” etc. etc. Luckily the director of this brilliant new xx video has saved Romy and pals from a watery grave…this time…
Responsible for many videos of the newest, coolest bands, Young Replicant are a “Los Angeles-based director Alex Takacs, and a revolving cast of collaborators” that have been recently signed by www.pulsefilms.com. In this moody, breathy few minutes we are transported to some sort of shipping yard where the members of what looks to be one of the most popular bands EVER are about to commit suicide/go for a swim. If you’ve read any interviews with The xx, you’ll know about the rare closeness the members have with one another, and how the end of this video – which sees them saving each other from drowning – is really a sign of the director doing a great job on his homework. Very nice!
- Curator Shonagh Marshall takes us through the highlights from Hair by Sam McKnight
- Yeji Yun’s imaginative zine combines frozen lands, whales and cocktails
- Zhang Kechun encapsulates the oblivion of China's mysterious Yellow River
- Artist Anna Valdez brings her eye for detail to digital painting
- Bold in its broadness, the work of Dave Singley
- Córdova Canillas seek inspiration between nostalgia and obsolescence for C de C annual
- Reasons Not To Do Graphic Design by Yotam Hadar
- Nostalgia in branding: top design studios analyse the NatWest and Co-op retrobrands
- Google and Monotype launch Noto, an open-source typeface family for all the world’s languages
- The only way is ethics: what are the moral obligations of a graphic designer?
- Rachel Levit illustrates contemporary relationships in new book
- Creative agency INT Works relaunches as Anyways, with a playful graphic identity