“Nooo they’re drowning! Who on earth am I going to listen to through my headphones whilst I walk moodily in the rain thinking about my ex boyfriend’s duvet?!” etc. etc. Luckily the director of this brilliant new xx video has saved Romy and pals from a watery grave…this time…
Responsible for many videos of the newest, coolest bands, Young Replicant are a “Los Angeles-based director Alex Takacs, and a revolving cast of collaborators” that have been recently signed by www.pulsefilms.com. In this moody, breathy few minutes we are transported to some sort of shipping yard where the members of what looks to be one of the most popular bands EVER are about to commit suicide/go for a swim. If you’ve read any interviews with The xx, you’ll know about the rare closeness the members have with one another, and how the end of this video – which sees them saving each other from drowning – is really a sign of the director doing a great job on his homework. Very nice!
- Photographer Trent Davis Bailey documents rural American community The North Fork
- Like a warm embrace, it's Best of the Web!
- Swedish illustrator Malin Rosenqvist creates textural works about psychology and powerful women
- Animator Jimmy Simpson creates technology-inspired ident for MTV
- Leander Assmann's illustrations are full of paired-back shapes and patterns
- Illustrator Andrey Kasay invites us into his surreal yet amusing world
- Grope Sans: a very rude typeface by Bompas & Parr
- Japanese graphic designer Ryu Mieno creates type-heavy works fizzing with energy
- The reductive and exacting work of graphic designer Laura Prim
- Why creative education for advertising is stuck in the dark ages
- Leipzig-based graphic designer Anja Kaiser takes us through her portfolio
- Nicolas Jaar releases Network, a book inspired by radio