“Nooo they’re drowning! Who on earth am I going to listen to through my headphones whilst I walk moodily in the rain thinking about my ex boyfriend’s duvet?!” etc. etc. Luckily the director of this brilliant new xx video has saved Romy and pals from a watery grave…this time…
Responsible for many videos of the newest, coolest bands, Young Replicant are a “Los Angeles-based director Alex Takacs, and a revolving cast of collaborators” that have been recently signed by www.pulsefilms.com. In this moody, breathy few minutes we are transported to some sort of shipping yard where the members of what looks to be one of the most popular bands EVER are about to commit suicide/go for a swim. If you’ve read any interviews with The xx, you’ll know about the rare closeness the members have with one another, and how the end of this video – which sees them saving each other from drowning – is really a sign of the director doing a great job on his homework. Very nice!
- Boot Boyz Biz: promoting community, not commodity
- Waving goodbye to July with our weekly Best of the Web
- The classical and the crude combine to represent the multiple facets of The Arab City
- Parquet Courts’ Andrew Savage on the interchanging influence of art and music
- Thee Drinkers: New exhibition conveys the joys and despair of having a few too many
- August Diary: where to go and what to see
- Benedict Redgrove’s beautifully hypnotic film about how a tennis ball is created
- Tommy Cash subverts the tropes of rap videos with a fleshy celebration of the human body (NSFW)
- Ian Davis’ picturesque paintings of bureaucratic dystopia
- Is it ever OK to work for free?
- Pentagram unveils refresh of Mastercard’s brand mark and identity
- Peter Saville and Tate Design Studio create beer can artwork for Switch House pale ale