Things Things Things! What a haul this week. Feast yer eyes on a very nick-able Diwali poster, a drool-worthy Sunspel T-shirt, a journal, a debut magazine and a little DIY chair. Never say we don’t give you enough choice…
Tom Lancaster & Vivienne Lang: Diwali
Fantastic poster here from Tom Lancaster who, with Vivienne Lang, has designed a promotion for Diwali, the festival of lights. Colourful and bright, this is the perfect poster for what looks to be a very fun festival indeed with “magical lighting displays, music, dance, food, stalls and more in London’s famous Trafalgar Square.” See you there!
Fourth and Main Journal
Another cracker of a journal from Fourth and Main, a clothing company that produces such a well put-together magazine that you wonder when they have time to actually make the clothes. Featuring photography by Simon Wheatley, photo features on Pinar Yolacan, Noemie Goudal and consistent flashes of god-like illustrator Micah Lidberg – this film, fashion, illustration, music and culture magazine is a seriously big deal.
Sunspel and Michael Landy
Wow! What a collaboration! Sunspel clothing manufacturers (who make some of the softest T-shirts on the planet) have taken Shepherd’s Purse, an intricate drawing of a weed taken from Michael Landy’s 2002 Nourishment collection and screen-printed it on to a T Shirt. Just in time for Frieze, this T shirt is a wave goodbye to summer and a vigorous reminder of how great it is when art and fashion combine in such harmony.
Suen & Willis
Steph and Lucy of Suen & Willis sent through this charming, wooden lasercut chair inviting us to take a seat and take a look at what they’re up to. Turns out they’re up to quite a bit, running a graphic design studio in Edinburgh that specialises in functionality and high quality finish. Their online portfolio isn’t ready for viewing yet, but this nice notebook and envelope will do us fine for now.
Day Job Magazine Issue 1
Nice debut magazine here exploring the ups and downs of what takes up a minimum of 14% of our lives — working. From jobs loved to jobs hated, this magazine covers the daily routines of people you’ve always wanted to know about, including kebab sellers’ top designers, friars and barbers. Incredibly informative and beautifully designed, we can’t wait for issue 2.
- Oliver Jeffers, Yuri Suzuki, Anna Ginsburg and Jimmy Turrell at Nicer Tuesdays
- An exercise in colour and control: David Hockney’s 82 portraits and one still life at the RA
- Woodstock 1969 immortalised on film by iconic photographer Baron Wolman
- Laurina Paperina's dark, weird but charming work
- Studio Frith creates Patti Smith-inspired identity for the inaugural Art Night festival
- Cindy Yang’s poignant animation questions the routine and mundanity of life
- Don't Hug Me I'm Scared - an exclusive interview with Duck, Red Guy and Yellow Guy
- The Imperfection Booklets by O.OO explain the nuances of Risograph printing
- Reactions to the referendum and our weekly Best of the Web
- Babak Ganjei paints 90s sitcom sitting rooms. But which one's which?
- Pop, subcultures and the future of graphic design: an interview with Experimental Jetset
- Oliver Curtis photographs the world’s most famous monuments, the wrong way round