Things Things Things! What a haul this week. Feast yer eyes on a very nick-able Diwali poster, a drool-worthy Sunspel T-shirt, a journal, a debut magazine and a little DIY chair. Never say we don’t give you enough choice…
Tom Lancaster & Vivienne Lang: Diwali
Fantastic poster here from Tom Lancaster who, with Vivienne Lang, has designed a promotion for Diwali, the festival of lights. Colourful and bright, this is the perfect poster for what looks to be a very fun festival indeed with “magical lighting displays, music, dance, food, stalls and more in London’s famous Trafalgar Square.” See you there!
Fourth and Main Journal
Another cracker of a journal from Fourth and Main, a clothing company that produces such a well put-together magazine that you wonder when they have time to actually make the clothes. Featuring photography by Simon Wheatley, photo features on Pinar Yolacan, Noemie Goudal and consistent flashes of god-like illustrator Micah Lidberg – this film, fashion, illustration, music and culture magazine is a seriously big deal.
Sunspel and Michael Landy
Wow! What a collaboration! Sunspel clothing manufacturers (who make some of the softest T-shirts on the planet) have taken Shepherd’s Purse, an intricate drawing of a weed taken from Michael Landy’s 2002 Nourishment collection and screen-printed it on to a T Shirt. Just in time for Frieze, this T shirt is a wave goodbye to summer and a vigorous reminder of how great it is when art and fashion combine in such harmony.
Suen & Willis
Steph and Lucy of Suen & Willis sent through this charming, wooden lasercut chair inviting us to take a seat and take a look at what they’re up to. Turns out they’re up to quite a bit, running a graphic design studio in Edinburgh that specialises in functionality and high quality finish. Their online portfolio isn’t ready for viewing yet, but this nice notebook and envelope will do us fine for now.
Day Job Magazine Issue 1
Nice debut magazine here exploring the ups and downs of what takes up a minimum of 14% of our lives — working. From jobs loved to jobs hated, this magazine covers the daily routines of people you’ve always wanted to know about, including kebab sellers’ top designers, friars and barbers. Incredibly informative and beautifully designed, we can’t wait for issue 2.
- The Ulm Model: a school and its pursuit of a critical design practice
- New One in New York: Simón Sepúlveda's six month design diary
- Eloïse Rossetti’s narrative and research-driven graphic design
- Illustrator Cécile Dormeau captures the humorous nuances of adult life
- Photographer Joshua Gordon's “loose diary” of work (NSFW)
- Four projects from Kickstarter's Make100 initiative which caught our eye
- Wolff Olins and zigbee launch the “first open-source brand for the Internet of Things”
- Graphic Design Festival Paris reveals 19 sport-inspired posters by Hort, Julia, Spassky Fischer and more
- FKA twigs teams up with 17 year old photographer David Uzochukwu for new Nike campaign
- Too Fast To Think: why switching off unlocks creativity
- Brian Finke captures the glitz and glamour of the Ms. Senior America beauty pageant