A shout out to the people who send us in stuff everyday, whether its their own work, or championing the hard graft of others, we salute you, without you Things wouldn’t exist and that would suck. Big time. So on that note, here is this week’s lovely collection of our favourite things.
Fernweh Heimweh by Jess Gough
‘Fernweh’ means “aching to be away”, whereas ‘Heimweh’ translates as “homesickness” and this describes the work of Jess Gough, a photographer from Berlin. All taken on a 35mm film camera, they capture her experiences abroad and at home, beautiful compositions and lovely subject matter, you really will love her work!
Hotshoe April – May 2013
Hotshoe have gone through a re-design and what a transformation it is! Their new approach is simplistic with the focus on features the “best, groundbreaking photography.” Including our favourite young hitchhikers photographed by Mike Brodie. These guys know where the talent is.
Dan Stafford’s illustrations
Crazed blue cats are the least of your worries when it comes to Dan’s illustrations, which are mental to say the least. Playing “hide and seek with soft airbrush figures”, his work is popping with colour. They sure wouldn’t be very good at hiding!
Kids With Puns
A celebration of the humble pun, Kids With Puns is a student run magazine whereby language is their playground. Teaming up with eight illustrators, they give you their rendition of the pun. Including a definition of the anti-joke, which shoots you down with a logical answer – pow.
Make A Good Thing Happen
There is more to these notebooks than just the lovely illustrations, Wrap magazine asked six illustrators who didn’t know each other to work together in pairs to deign a notebook cover. With only two weeks, they were told to explore three words: ‘input’, ‘process’ and ‘output’. What a result!
- Best of the Web: a few of our favourite things we've spotted on the internet this week
- Tom Phillips' magnum opus turned a Victorian novel into a work of art spanning 50 years
- Matisse-inspired posters for Serbian Youth Day from designer Monika Lang
- Raphael Schoen's cheerfully chaotic posters for a Swiss youth club
- Illustrators including Sam Taylor and Charlotte Mei's tributes to NWA's Straight Outta Compton
- The slides and sleep pods of LA's Silicon Beach startup scene captured by Lauren Greenfield
- A mind full of filthy ideas and creative brilliance: we visit Malika Favre
- The bizarre, twilight world of Berlin-based photographer Maxime Ballesteros
- Wieden + Kennedy Amsterdam and Colophon create typeface that works with the Earth's tilt
- The Anonymous Sex Journal is back, and this issue is all about wanking
- The homeless Dirty Kids of America and their "rainbow party" explored in new film
- 12-year-old accidentally punches a hole $1.5 million painting