It’s that time of the week again – Things has come out to play, turning heads everywhere she goes oooh isn’t she dazzling?! With a photography zine, some catalogues with some binding to die for, some lovely drawings, a GIANT poster and some seriously tasty postcards, belt up, it’s going to be a good’un…
Igor Termenon : Girls on Film Zine
Simple but beautiful things are sometimes the best things in life so when the Girls on Film zine came through our door – doing pretty much exactly what it says on the tin, a little zine packed with a beautiful array of portraits of girls taken with film cameras – we instantly loved it. Started by Igor Termenon back in 2011 when he was studying for his masters as a way to keep in touch with his love for photography, it’s still going now and with a cover to make anybody sitting in the cold wildly jealous, we think it is great.
Miguel Angel Valdivia/Giulia Garbin: Le Petit Néant
There’s something rather nice about brown paper book covers and the cover of Le Petit Néant – made truly complete with its beautiful typography – is no different. Covering the art of drawing by showcasing a beautifully diverse collection of, yes you’ve guessed it, drawings and being the magazine’s debut issue things are looking good for Le Petit Néant!
Istanbul Design Biennial Catalogue
We are suckers for beautiful binding so when we got our hands on this mighty trio of catalogues from this year’s Istanbul Design Biennial we got a bit excited. Featuring an undoubtedly comprehensive (just look at all those pages…) guide though the many exhibitions within the show, they well and truly may sure that any visitor won’t be short of information. And with their beautiful covers in come bright red, blue and green it certainly sets a good precedent for the show.
Patrick Fry: TwoSomes
Words can be so similar in sound but worlds apart in meaning as many non anglophones have undoubtedly found out so step forward designer Patrick Fry. He has outlined the differences between burglars and buglers, awake and a wake and scuba and cuba in a series of beautifully-designed postcards which brim with tasty, brightly coloured typography so we’ll never get our words mixed up again!
Rob Hunter: Young Colossus poster
Wow would you look at that illustration on that! Our jaws all dropped in delight when we received this beauty of a poster through our door this week. But what is it all about? As part of his new side-project Young Colossus Orlando Weeks – front man of The Maccabees – has commissioned Rob Hunter to create a beautiful illustrative storybook to accompany his new six track EP. With the poster teaser brimming with colour and illustrative greatness and being so giant we really had to stretch ourselves when it came to photographing, we love it!
- Best of the Web is here, and so is the weekend!
- Animator Saiman Chow’s trippy idents for Adult Swim’s Rick and Morty
- Friday Mixtape: Legendary record label, 4AD
- Risograph photograph journal, This is the Same Ocean, returns with a sixth issue
- Illustrator Gizem Vural impresses us with attention-grabbing personal work and commissions
- Colophon Foundry re-releases its road-sign inspired typeface, Montefiore, with new specimen
- Jon Burgerman on his utterly brilliant Instagram experiments
- The photos Juergen Teller took while waiting for Rihanna
- Animator and director James Curran’s amusing 30-day Gifathon project in Tokyo
- "Before I was a graphic designer I had nearly no idea what one was": meet Austin Redman
- Meet Berlin-based studio Büro Bum Bum
- Matthew Raw: the east London artist making clay great again