Tom Gauld is one of those illustrators It’s Nice That can’t really function without; between his hilarious short comics, his book Goliath and his glorious Bookshelf feature I think we can happily resign ourselves to the kind of long-term fandom that only the die-hard will commit to.
With that in mind, obviously we were delighted to see the brilliant work he undertook recently for the Wellcome Trust’s new online magazine Mosaic Science. Tom created a series of illustrations to run alongside a long-form piece about the labyrinthine questions that stem from Alzheimer’s. Using his trademark humour to make the heartbreaking reality of the disease that little bit easier to swallow, his visual solution revolved around the image of a maze, with it’s nooks and crannies and corners and puzzlement all aligning excellently with the strangely inexplicable dead-ends that come with mental illness. Sensitively and wittily done, Tom. We’re your biggest fans, forevz.
- It's Nice That visits the Turner Prize
- Our Favourite Places is promoting the creative wealth of innovative Sheffield
- Meet tarot-obsessed Gucci illustrator Jayde Fish
- Julia Autz documents Transnistria, a country steeped in Soviet nostalgia
- Felicity Marshall, the illustrator merging editorial and fashion design
- Wow Factor: the eye-popping results of A Load of Jargon's printing workshops
- “Nymphomaniac” photographer Casper Sejersen's explosive images
- Anja Wicki's sarcastically sweet comic illustrations
- Logo Pizza is selling 50 ready-made logos that increase in price with each one sold
- Google and INT Works commission 19 illustrators to create over 500 works for Allo app launch
- The Gentlewoman’s art director, Veronica Ditting gives us a peek at her bookshelf