You don’t get much more era-defining than someone finding 88 rolls of 35mm black and white film that have been undeveloped for over a decade and getting them printed. This is especially true when said photos are of a group of wanderers in the late 1990ss in California and New York, doing not much more than smoking and enjoying what the world has to offer, with some very sweet children in tow.
Whether it’s the grainy black and white, the fact that it’s obviously hot enough where they are for them all to be naked most of the time, or maybe that each person in this photograph looks like a potential friend – these photographs are so good you can almost smell the sand and the cigarettes. Tony Cox, the photographer, stated that the photo series entitled “incense” due to the effects smell can have on memory: “Sense was a big thing then – the smell of eucalyptus trees, weed, nag champa, the stench of Canal St, the smudging of sage…”
Tony Cox – you are a bit of a mystery, but you’ve successfully immortalised a time that can’t be repeated, and for that we salute you.
- Dressed in Black: the resolute book covers of the Spektrum series
- Dima Shriyeav’s textured poster designs incorporate hand-drawn and digital elements
- Hai-Hsin Huang’s detailed and delicate illustrations present “the lightness of being”
- Laurent Eisler draws playful figures in “precariously balanced compositions”
- Small Gods magazine explores “anomalies of the drone”
- Adam Wells animates Love and Radio’s Dan Deacon interview through obtuse vignettes
- Fashion photographer Miles Aldridge shoots the cast of Game of Thrones for Time Magazine
- The Netherlands’ royal crest changes gender for national women’s football team kit by Nike
- Peek inside erotic magazine Odiseo’s very NSFW tenth issue
- Rick and Morty’s Exquisite Corpse trailer features 22 animators including Simon Landrein and Bendik Kaltenborn
- Design director, Gail Bichler, on The New York Times Magazine typography exhibition
- Mark Shaw captures the glamour of haute couture runways from the 1950s