What luck to stumble across French studio Twice this week, lurking as they were in the cyberwebs like a shining gem in a mass of swirling murky water. The Paris-based art direction and graphic design studio is made up of Fanny Le Bras and Clémentine Berry, and their work is characterised by infallible attention to detail, and cobalt blue. Lots of blue.
This project, an identity for the Architectures pour l’Avenir exhibition at villa Noailles, Hyères, is just one of a multitude of brilliant pieces of work they’ve done. The identity includes printed flyers and a beautifully bound catalogue, indicating that Twice have mastered the use of textures and bold colour.
Judging by the impressive diversity of their portfolio, which includes album artwork, fashion look-books and events projects alongside more conventional identities, these two aren’t afraid to turn their hands at anything. High notes include the identity for the Baleapop 4 Festival, for which they coupled up with a set design studio to cover the walls of the venue with the same blue water surface effect used in the festival’s identity, and a beautifully minimal and feminine look-book for fashion designer Lea Peckre. Something tells me we’re going to hear a lot more from these two.
- Best of the Web: a few of our favourite things we've spotted on the internet this week
- Tom Phillips' magnum opus turned a Victorian novel into a work of art spanning 50 years
- Matisse-inspired posters for Serbian Youth Day from designer Monika Lang
- Raphael Schoen's cheerfully chaotic posters for a Swiss youth club
- Illustrators including Sam Taylor and Charlotte Mei's tributes to NWA's Straight Outta Compton
- The slides and sleep pods of LA's Silicon Beach startup scene captured by Lauren Greenfield
- A mind full of filthy ideas and creative brilliance: we visit Malika Favre
- The bizarre, twilight world of Berlin-based photographer Maxime Ballesteros
- Wieden + Kennedy Amsterdam and Colophon create typeface that works with the Earth's tilt
- The Anonymous Sex Journal is back, and this issue is all about wanking
- The homeless Dirty Kids of America and their "rainbow party" explored in new film
- 12-year-old accidentally punches a hole $1.5 million painting