Don’t be fooled by the beguiling simplicity of their name: WE MAKE CARPETS are by no means simply weavers who want to make a pleasant rug for you to throw haphazardly over your parquet floor. Oh no.
The trio, which consists of Marci Nolte, Stijn van deer Vleuten and Bob Waardenburg combine the traditional practice of weaving with a critical perspective of consumerist culture to create an alternative use for waste products. Decorative qualities come second place here in favour of what they call a “contemporary interpretation of wealth”, reusing objects which might otherwise have been discarded or left to while out the last of their days forgotten in the stockroom at Poundland. From pasta and pegs to screws and matches, no item goes unused here, and the results are very cool. For example, they recently made a huge window display for London department store Liberty’s out of deflated balloons arranged in graphic patterns, and this project A4 Carpet sees them cover the floor of a 500m square industrial hall with thousands of sheets of A4 paper folded into origami at De Fabriek in Eindhoven.
I can’t even imagine how walking around a supermarket must become an irresistible trip to source new artistic materials for the threesome. One thing’s for sure though, their inimitable resourcefulness can only have good repercussions in a society which uses and discards objects needlessly and relentlessly.
- Submit Saturdays: photographer and filmmaker Harry Israelson's bright, smart portfolio
- May Diary: where to go and what to see this month
- Crisp and vibrant design work from ECAL graduate Clement Rouzaud
- Portuguese illustrator Tiago Galo’s plump little characters are oddly charming
- Matthew Butcher launches the Flood House that will travel around the Thames Estuary
- Haunting train-simulator-based animation by Jack Featherstone for Occult Orientated Crime
- Design Bridge creates new harp icon for Guinness
- Yoshinori Mizutani captures the colourful, rain soaked commuters of Tokyo
- LA studio Laundry creates amazing warped Simpsons idents for American channel FX
- Winning design for Tokyo 2020 Olympics unveiled
- Poem Baker photographs the Jûngølā drag clowns of London’s Deptford
- Milton Glaser creates new look for Brooklyn Brewery