The main award season may have come and gone earlier this year in a flurry of breathless hype but it’s time to honour those who have done fantastic things online in the past 12 months. Now in its 16th year The Webbys may lack some of the gravitas of The Oscars or The Grammys, but they are a respected judge of who’s been brilliant in arguably the most significant cultural field of all.
The nominations were released this week and there’s stiff competition in the Design (Aesthetic) field with Paris design studio HelloHikiMori’s all singing-all dancing eyeball assault (also up for Best Homepage) facing off against The New York Times Coming Out Project, Google Music Tour, Kinetic’s lo-fi GIF-tastic effort and Morgenland’s pared-back sleekness.
Also in the Homepage category, the brilliant Visit Norway panoramic photo portal gets a nod as does the nicely picture-focussed Harpers Bazaar, the super-fun, super-coulourful Muppets page and the flipboard style Euro RSCG.
It’s good to see both fabulously re-launched Walker Art Center site up for the Art gong, along with Photoseed and The Google Art Project (which is also in the Best Navigation group, alongside interesting entries from VW Beetle and Robert Jaso.
Talking of favourites of ours, Art of Pho is up for Best Use of Animation (as is Draw a Stick Man), PostSecret gets a nod in the Netart category and Kim Jong Il Looking at Things must be the frontrunner in the Weird section although the mind melting Four million visuals of π might run it close.
For my money TIME’s stark Beyond 911 and the Remember Me Holocaust project both harness photography in moving, hard-hitting ways although I really like the way this Medecins Sans Frontieres campaign site uses images too so Best Use of Photography is hard to call.
Congratulations to all the nominees and we’ll hone in on some of the winners when they’re announced in May.
- Berlin-based Cristóbal Schmal’s naive illustrations are an intriguing mix
- Here we go again, it's the Best of the Web! And the finest people to follow on social
- Odd character designs and snogging: we’re still digging the work of Dale Crosby-Close
- Tom Johnson's stunning new shoot of 12-year-old kickboxing champ “Tigger”
- Dark Igloo's deliciously digital branding for Giphy will “melt your face”
- July Diary: Where to go and what to see
- Don't Hug Me I'm Scared - an exclusive interview with Duck, Red Guy and Yellow Guy
- Oliver Curtis photographs the world’s most famous monuments, the wrong way round
- The Imperfection Booklets by O.OO explain the nuances of Risograph printing
- Pop, subcultures and the future of graphic design: an interview with Experimental Jetset
- June Korea’s photographic fantasy: one man’s relationship with his sex doll
- Laurina Paperina's dark, weird but charming work