The main award season may have come and gone earlier this year in a flurry of breathless hype but it’s time to honour those who have done fantastic things online in the past 12 months. Now in its 16th year The Webbys may lack some of the gravitas of The Oscars or The Grammys, but they are a respected judge of who’s been brilliant in arguably the most significant cultural field of all.
The nominations were released this week and there’s stiff competition in the Design (Aesthetic) field with Paris design studio HelloHikiMori’s all singing-all dancing eyeball assault (also up for Best Homepage) facing off against The New York Times Coming Out Project, Google Music Tour, Kinetic’s lo-fi GIF-tastic effort and Morgenland’s pared-back sleekness.
Also in the Homepage category, the brilliant Visit Norway panoramic photo portal gets a nod as does the nicely picture-focussed Harpers Bazaar, the super-fun, super-coulourful Muppets page and the flipboard style Euro RSCG.
It’s good to see both fabulously re-launched Walker Art Center site up for the Art gong, along with Photoseed and The Google Art Project (which is also in the Best Navigation group, alongside interesting entries from VW Beetle and Robert Jaso.
Talking of favourites of ours, Art of Pho is up for Best Use of Animation (as is Draw a Stick Man), PostSecret gets a nod in the Netart category and Kim Jong Il Looking at Things must be the frontrunner in the Weird section although the mind melting Four million visuals of π might run it close.
For my money TIME’s stark Beyond 911 and the Remember Me Holocaust project both harness photography in moving, hard-hitting ways although I really like the way this Medecins Sans Frontieres campaign site uses images too so Best Use of Photography is hard to call.
Congratulations to all the nominees and we’ll hone in on some of the winners when they’re announced in May.
- Chaz Bundick talks us through the new digitally personable Company website
- Animator Frances Haszard’s gender neutral breakup story
- Photographer Norman Behrendt depicts Turkey’s majestic mosques
- Explore North Korean graphic ephemera in Phaidon’s new book
- “Have a process you can apply to any situation, space or time”: what we learned from Converse’s Lovejoy Art Benefit
- Standards Manual return with catalogue of 400 objects relating to New York City Transit
- Polaroid’s creative director Danny Pemberton introduces new brand Polaroid Originals
- Artist Dominique Pétrin on creating her very own domestic product
- Universal Everything animate emotive wallpapers for new iPhone devices
- Herburg Weiland’s meticulous editorial designs are typographically-driven
- The Visual History of Type author Paul McNeil selects and dissects his six favourite faces
- Breakdown Press’ Joe Kessler picks out his most-treasured books