Well, well, well what do we have here? It’s only the brand new It’s Nice That weekender section coming at ya (like sadly short-lived mid 90s band Cleopatra) every Friday afternoon. A look back, a look forwards, hell maybe even a little look underneath all things super, smashing and indeed great. All hail the weekend!
Best of the blog
In the wrong hands, art that makes a statement can be really cringeworthy, but Yolanda Dominguez is a genius at saying serious things in very silly ways. For that we love her. Talking of love, Sarah Blackall has created some wonderful illustrations based on the intriguing Missed Connections notices you find in papers and online. So we love her too. And in fact we also love things and people, so Things and People is perfect for us.
Best of the rest
Sometimes despite our name we like a good spat. We especially like a furore. Eye Magazine had a great, and balanced, article about the uproar (also good) caused by Huffington Post’s decision to crowdsource their logo design. Meanwhile actual fisticuffs over in America where street artist Shepard Fairey was beaten up over a mural-based misunderstanding. Yikes! And finally Creative Review did a nice piece on a simple but hugely effective Channel 4 advertising campaign.
Nutters of the week
It’s high wire walking, but not as we know it. Exhilirating, but don’t watch it if you have any issue with heights (found via Hypebeast)
Tweet of the week
Coming together of the week
Social media lampoon of the week
It’s quite hard to make funny jokes about Facebook any more, but those clever clogs at GQ have put together a guide to the friends you love to hate. Very funny, very true.
Unlikely career resurrection of the week
One for our UK readers this one. Most of you will have come across police show The Bill, and aficionados might remember a character called Reg. A lovable oddball, the show’s comic relief…oh and it turns out a really talented actor! Who knew?
Dial it up y’all!
- Odd character designs and snogging: we're still digging the work of Dale Crosby-Close
- Tom Johnson's stunning new shoot of 12-year-old kickboxing champ "Tigger"
- July Diary: Where to go and what to see
- American Studies: Jeremy Liebman unpacks his father’s photography archive
- Christian Pardini's Studio Flat creates neat type-based posters, postcards and identity design
- Lynnie Zulu decorates her exotic characters in punchy hues and patterns
- Don't Hug Me I'm Scared - an exclusive interview with Duck, Red Guy and Yellow Guy
- The Imperfection Booklets by O.OO explain the nuances of Risograph printing
- Reactions to the referendum and our weekly Best of the Web
- Babak Ganjei paints 90s sitcom sitting rooms. But which one's which?
- Pop, subcultures and the future of graphic design: an interview with Experimental Jetset
- Oliver Curtis photographs the world’s most famous monuments, the wrong way round