Not that you need to be quiet for this showstopper; if the Weekender was a film, it’d most likely be the grotesque, just-about-legal but nonetheless strange story of a desert island. It’s lorded over by a tyrannical prince clad from head to toe in purple velvet who was incapable of walking three steps without doing the Macarena. He wouldn’t be the only weirdo on the island though, no sir; he’d be accompanied at all times by an a cappella choir of singing and dancing monkeys who happily joined him in his choreography.
Let’s be serious though, nobody wants to watch that film. Let’s get on with it, shall we?
Stuff you should absolutely not have missed this week
- Director Tom Leach sang the praises of Daniel Wolfe’s ace video for Chase & Status in our My Favourite Music Video feature.
- Our lovely new editorial assistant Amy Lewin wrote about some of the cool stuff we got sent this week.
- Rob Mitchell from copywriting agency We All Need Words wrote a brilliant opinion piece about Airbnb’s redesign and the role of a brand strategy.
- We interviewed design studio Leftloft about their three year rebranding of iconic Italian football team, Inter Milan.
- On the Studio Audience podcast this week we nattered on about the It’s Nice That Graduates of 2014 and the man who shot a bonsai tree into space in the name of art.
- The editor-in-chief of i-D, Holly Shackleton, showed us her top five books from her incredibly well-stocked bookshelf.
Maisie Skidmore –
How this escaped me when it first came out back in 2010 I don’t know, but the 23 million people who have already viewed it are a testament, and a fine one at that, to just how good it is. Marcel the Shell with Shoes On might sound like a fairly self-explanatory character but let me assure you that he is anything but, and if you have yet to watch this gorgeous animation, created by Jenny Slate and Dean Fleischer-Camp, then may I recommend that you lock your eyeballs onto it asap? You won’t regret it.
James Cartwright –
Joaquin Phoenix’s forehead can act! I didn’t think this would make me laugh when it was sent round the studio earlier this week but it’s completely floored me every time I’ve watched it.
Amy Lewin –
The Moomins and their mushroom shaped house were a key part of my childhood, and not just because I thought I looked a little bit like the Snork Maiden. Who could resist delving into a world filled with characters called Gaffsie and Ninny and Thingumy? So to encourage you all to visit the ICA’s exhibition of photographs of Tove Jansson, Moomin inventoress, here is the love of Moomintroll’s life herself.
Rob Alderson –
Myself and Liv Siddall are unashamed Friends obsessives and much of our discussions around the show are thinly-veiled attempts to prove we know the lives of Ross, Monica, Rachel, Chandler, Joey and Phoebe better than the other person. This handy list of 61 Things You Probably Didn’t Know about Friends from Buzzfeed (who else) finally gives us a chance to identify a real and worthy winner.
- Submit Saturdays: Take advantage of your website to show varied work as a creative collective
- Parisian upstarts Ill-Studio give L’Officiel magazine new life
- Knock knock. Who's there? It's Best of the Web!
- William Knight's socially conscious portfolio of graphic design
- Alan Fears’ papier mâché heads are a humorous portrait of ourselves
- The quiet humour of illustrator Elena Xausa
- Reasons Not To Do Graphic Design by Yotam Hadar
- Nostalgia in branding: top design studios analyse the NatWest and Co-op retrobrands
- Google and Monotype launch Noto, an open-source typeface family for all the world’s languages
- The only way is ethics: what are the moral obligations of a graphic designer?
- Rachel Levit illustrates contemporary relationships in new book
- Creative agency INT Works relaunches as Anyways, with a playful graphic identity