Not that you need to be quiet for this showstopper; if the Weekender was a film, it’d most likely be the grotesque, just-about-legal but nonetheless strange story of a desert island. It’s lorded over by a tyrannical prince clad from head to toe in purple velvet who was incapable of walking three steps without doing the Macarena. He wouldn’t be the only weirdo on the island though, no sir; he’d be accompanied at all times by an a cappella choir of singing and dancing monkeys who happily joined him in his choreography.
Let’s be serious though, nobody wants to watch that film. Let’s get on with it, shall we?
Stuff you should absolutely not have missed this week
- Director Tom Leach sang the praises of Daniel Wolfe’s ace video for Chase & Status in our My Favourite Music Video feature.
- Our lovely new editorial assistant Amy Lewin wrote about some of the cool stuff we got sent this week.
- Rob Mitchell from copywriting agency We All Need Words wrote a brilliant opinion piece about Airbnb’s redesign and the role of a brand strategy.
- We interviewed design studio Leftloft about their three year rebranding of iconic Italian football team, Inter Milan.
- On the Studio Audience podcast this week we nattered on about the It’s Nice That Graduates of 2014 and the man who shot a bonsai tree into space in the name of art.
- The editor-in-chief of i-D, Holly Shackleton, showed us her top five books from her incredibly well-stocked bookshelf.
Maisie Skidmore –
How this escaped me when it first came out back in 2010 I don’t know, but the 23 million people who have already viewed it are a testament, and a fine one at that, to just how good it is. Marcel the Shell with Shoes On might sound like a fairly self-explanatory character but let me assure you that he is anything but, and if you have yet to watch this gorgeous animation, created by Jenny Slate and Dean Fleischer-Camp, then may I recommend that you lock your eyeballs onto it asap? You won’t regret it.
James Cartwright –
Joaquin Phoenix’s forehead can act! I didn’t think this would make me laugh when it was sent round the studio earlier this week but it’s completely floored me every time I’ve watched it.
Amy Lewin –
The Moomins and their mushroom shaped house were a key part of my childhood, and not just because I thought I looked a little bit like the Snork Maiden. Who could resist delving into a world filled with characters called Gaffsie and Ninny and Thingumy? So to encourage you all to visit the ICA’s exhibition of photographs of Tove Jansson, Moomin inventoress, here is the love of Moomintroll’s life herself.
Rob Alderson –
Myself and Liv Siddall are unashamed Friends obsessives and much of our discussions around the show are thinly-veiled attempts to prove we know the lives of Ross, Monica, Rachel, Chandler, Joey and Phoebe better than the other person. This handy list of 61 Things You Probably Didn’t Know about Friends from Buzzfeed (who else) finally gives us a chance to identify a real and worthy winner.
- Cornelius de Bill Baboul’s Peelosophies is toilet humour at its finest
- Director I Saw John First creates animated video for Jack Steadman’s solo project, Mr Jukes
- Carlín Díaz expands his practice to psychedelic paintings and animations
- Atelier Brenda: the alter ego of three female designers you need to get to know
- Artist Crys Yin adds comical elements to her simply-executed paintings
- Grilli Type designer Reto Moser shares the books that inspire him
- A new national identity: Smörgåsbord Studio rebrands Wales
- Graphic design gems: Chicago gang business cards from the 1970s and 80s
- Photographer Dougie Wallace captures the super rich spenders of “Harrodsburg”
- “Romance in a sort-of fantasy world”: photographer Molly Matalon's new work (some NSFW)
- Studio Michael Satter’s sophisticatedly simple graphic design portfolio
- Harry Pearce and Pentagram create a new identity for Pink Floyd’s record label