If the weekend was a football team we’d dive headfirst onto the pitch dressed head to toe in spangly silver lycra and leg-warmers and bust out into a rousing chorus of chanting, interspersed with the odd Spice Girls lyric, to get the crowd good and warmed up ready for Friday’s giant victory. As it isn’t, we’re just going to crack open some beers and sip on them nonchalantly for the last, long half hour of the working day, wearing our usual, non-spangly attire, albeit feeling slightly more smug than we did yesterday afternoon. But, y’know, if you’re into dressing like a cheerleader, we can get behind that too. For you select few, get those pompoms good and spruced, it’s almost time!
Stuff you might have missed this week
– The Airbnb debate rumbles on in this week’s Opinion piece; this time with Sam Peskin and Liam Hamill of VentureThree making a case for brand strategy. Add your two cents in the comments section!
– Turns out Bloc Party’s Kele Okereke was masquerading as a musician this whole time; what he’s really into is comic books. Get a old of his collection in this week’s Bookshelf.
– This week in My Favourite Music Video, Rajeev Basu told us exactly why he loves this gory, gassy, brutal music video, directed by The Glue Society for Playing the Villain’s Son of Kick.
– We were actually quite funny on our Studio Audience podcast this week, chatting about the Simpsons/Family Guy crossover and Stefan Sagmeister’s amazing angry outburst.
– And did you see this hilarious series of Renaissance GIFs by tech wizard James Kerr?
I don’t know if you also dream of one day taking a baby deer into your arms, holding it like it’s a Cabbage Patch Doll and giving it the mother of all belly rubs, but if so, you’ll get me on this. These workmen somewhere in the USA were sweetly and kindly moving this little one off a road they were building on when they found that actually, it didn’t want to be put back on the ground, because walking is for losers and belly rubs are the bomb. I hear you, Bambi. Watch and melt.
Simple concept, well executed. Sometimes when you’re watching a band and you’re getting a bit fidgety your mind can wander off into a strange place where you find yourself thinking about the lead singer being born or how much the drummer’s balls are vibrating right now. I guess one person in the world started imagining if the lead guitarist was actually playing a big fat slug rather than a guitar, and turned hastily to Tumblr to make that daydream a reality.
This woman spent 14 hours taking advantage of TGI Friday’s “Endless Appetizers” offer. What follows is an incredibly rich, funny and human article which touches on various themes, some you might expect, some you wouldn’t. It’s long, but well worth a read.
Here’s something to ponder over the weekend: Picasso painted until 3am, Freud did his admin in the mornings and Haruki Murakami takes his afternoons off. This poster, based on Daily Rituals by Mason Currey, shows how a bunch of famous creatives spent, or still spend, their time. How does it compare to you? Hope you take more time off than Voltaire.
- Hilarious send-up of selfie culture from Mercedes-Benz, Justin O'Shea and Jayne Min
- Mattis Dovier tracks the painful metamorphosis of man into machine in his new short
- Class A Marketing analyses the advertising techniques of drug dealers
- Yuri Suzuki's new invention lets users turn any object into a functioning musical instrument
- Snøhetta develops a “tribal language” for Høyskolen Kristiania School
- Work, build and don’t whine: historic portrayals of women in art and design
- Anna Ginsburg explores sex and female orgasms in this hilarious animation (NSFW)
- Arne Svenson’s portraits of his New York neighbours taken through apartment windows
- The Co-op returns to its old “clover leaf” logo from the 1960s
- Don't Hug Me I'm Scared - an exclusive interview with Duck, Red Guy and Yellow Guy
- Ace new Laura Callaghan work calls BS on the idea that we can be "whatever we want to be"
- The new Sagmeister & Walsh website has a live feed from a snake enclosure and a new naked photo (NSFW)