Why Not Associates is one of London’s foremost graphic design studios whose brilliance across branding, print, motion and environmental design has been proved time and time again. Celebrating a quarter of a century since its foundation, a show at the ggg gallery in Tokyo brings together their greatest hits, allowing visitors to immerse themselves in the studio’s many successes, in particular those which push the possibilities of typography in innovative and exciting ways.
The gallery hits the nail on the head when it says the Why Not world is “one that is daring and dynamic and less about achieving pre-planned harmony than turning even accident to advantage,” and as ever the studio is nicely modest about its work, calling the show We Never Had a Plan So Nothing Could Go Wrong.
As previous winners of the Grand Prix from the Tokyo Type Directors’ Club, Japan is an obvious place for such a wide-ranging show but I can’t help feel slightly miffed that we’re not able to enjoy their superb work here in their home city. Hopefully someone will rectify that, but in the meantime there’s a book out to accompany the exhibition which should tide us over.
Why Not Associates – We Never Had a Plan So Nothing Could Go Wrong runs until June 29.
- Best of the Web: Trump inauguration protest special
- We go behind the scenes of Bonobo’s trippy No Reason video with director Oscar Hudson
- Doppelglanders: 3D animator Julian Glander interviews his name twin
- The witchy dreamscapes of illustrator Maren Karlson
- Maciej Dakowicz's photographs capture unexpected, serendipitous moments
- The comic book influences of illustrator Stefanie Leinhos
- Wolff Olins and zigbee launch the “first open-source brand for the Internet of Things”
- Graphic Design Festival Paris reveals 19 sport-inspired posters by Hort, Julia, Spassky Fischer and more
- FKA twigs teams up with 17 year old photographer David Uzochukwu for new Nike campaign
- Too Fast To Think: why switching off unlocks creativity
- Brian Finke captures the glitz and glamour of the Ms. Senior America beauty pageant