Zejian Shen’s comics are inky and bloody and consistently surprising. From the snogging couple pulled over for drink driving in the cosmos, to the murdering motorcycling cactus-haired skeleton, her comics go on speedy, surreal, jam-packed trips. And from two shipwrecked alcoholics spinning for the first sip to the insatiable bee buzzing randily from one flower to another, although you’re never sure where these comics will take you, you’re sure to be met with things you’ve not even contemplated imagining.
Along with the filthy sex and violence, there’s a few touching hints at falling in love, missing connections and looking out for one another. Party Plans, her ongoing saga detailing Victor Volcano’s epic birthday scandal featuring Bobby Basilisk, Betty Boulder, Max Meteor and many others, is insanely inventive and deserves attempting to follow in full. We posted a painting by Zejian a couple of years ago. Since then her comics have rocketed in their ambitious insanity.
- Standards Manual return with catalogue of 400 objects relating to New York City Transit
- Emma King's publication rewrites Orwell's "1984" using Donald Trump's tweets
- It’s a new dawn, it’s a new day – it’s Best of the Web!
- Bolade Banjo photographs the perseverance of Detroit’s student athletes
- Alex Grigg animates Steve Stoute’s homage to Biggie Smalls
- Billy Clark applies his graphic sensibilities to his minimal yet textured illustrations
- Polaroid’s creative director Danny Pemberton introduces new brand Polaroid Originals
- Artist Dominique Pétrin on creating her very own domestic product
- Universal Everything animate emotive wallpapers for new iPhone devices
- Herburg Weiland’s meticulous editorial designs are typographically-driven
- The Visual History of Type author Paul McNeil selects and dissects his six favourite faces
- Breakdown Press’ Joe Kessler picks out his most-treasured books