Zejian Shen’s comics are inky and bloody and consistently surprising. From the snogging couple pulled over for drink driving in the cosmos, to the murdering motorcycling cactus-haired skeleton, her comics go on speedy, surreal, jam-packed trips. And from two shipwrecked alcoholics spinning for the first sip to the insatiable bee buzzing randily from one flower to another, although you’re never sure where these comics will take you, you’re sure to be met with things you’ve not even contemplated imagining.
Along with the filthy sex and violence, there’s a few touching hints at falling in love, missing connections and looking out for one another. Party Plans, her ongoing saga detailing Victor Volcano’s epic birthday scandal featuring Bobby Basilisk, Betty Boulder, Max Meteor and many others, is insanely inventive and deserves attempting to follow in full. We posted a painting by Zejian a couple of years ago. Since then her comics have rocketed in their ambitious insanity.
- Berlin-based Cristóbal Schmal’s naive illustrations are an intriguing mix
- Here we go again, it's the Best of the Web! And the finest people to follow on social
- Odd character designs and snogging: we’re still digging the work of Dale Crosby-Close
- Tom Johnson's stunning new shoot of 12-year-old kickboxing champ “Tigger”
- Dark Igloo's deliciously digital branding for Giphy will “melt your face”
- July Diary: Where to go and what to see
- Don't Hug Me I'm Scared - an exclusive interview with Duck, Red Guy and Yellow Guy
- Oliver Curtis photographs the world’s most famous monuments, the wrong way round
- The Imperfection Booklets by O.OO explain the nuances of Risograph printing
- Pop, subcultures and the future of graphic design: an interview with Experimental Jetset
- June Korea’s photographic fantasy: one man’s relationship with his sex doll
- Laurina Paperina's dark, weird but charming work