Zejian Shen’s comics are inky and bloody and consistently surprising. From the snogging couple pulled over for drink driving in the cosmos, to the murdering motorcycling cactus-haired skeleton, her comics go on speedy, surreal, jam-packed trips. And from two shipwrecked alcoholics spinning for the first sip to the insatiable bee buzzing randily from one flower to another, although you’re never sure where these comics will take you, you’re sure to be met with things you’ve not even contemplated imagining.
Along with the filthy sex and violence, there’s a few touching hints at falling in love, missing connections and looking out for one another. Party Plans, her ongoing saga detailing Victor Volcano’s epic birthday scandal featuring Bobby Basilisk, Betty Boulder, Max Meteor and many others, is insanely inventive and deserves attempting to follow in full. We posted a painting by Zejian a couple of years ago. Since then her comics have rocketed in their ambitious insanity.
- Brooklyn-based Jyan Ku’s naive pastel works are oddly charming
- Jules de Balincourt’s vivid paintings of public spaces play with reality
- Harry Israelson photographs a renaissance fair in sunny California
- Pentagram’s Domenic Lippa designs the inaugural issue of YES & NO Magazine
- Introducing graphic designer Moonsick Gang
- “Non-league football is our punk rock” – Alex Brown’s work for Eastbourne Town FC
- Animator and director James Curran’s amusing 30-day Gifathon project in Tokyo
- Photographer Sophie Mayanne’s new personal project celebrates imperfection (NSFW)
- Animator Saiman Chow’s trippy idents for Adult Swim’s Rick and Morty
- The daily grind: Louis Quail’s photographs of fascinatingly mundane offices
- "Before I was a graphic designer I had nearly no idea what one was": meet Austin Redman
- Matthew Raw: the east London artist making clay great again