Zejian Shen’s comics are inky and bloody and consistently surprising. From the snogging couple pulled over for drink driving in the cosmos, to the murdering motorcycling cactus-haired skeleton, her comics go on speedy, surreal, jam-packed trips. And from two shipwrecked alcoholics spinning for the first sip to the insatiable bee buzzing randily from one flower to another, although you’re never sure where these comics will take you, you’re sure to be met with things you’ve not even contemplated imagining.
Along with the filthy sex and violence, there’s a few touching hints at falling in love, missing connections and looking out for one another. Party Plans, her ongoing saga detailing Victor Volcano’s epic birthday scandal featuring Bobby Basilisk, Betty Boulder, Max Meteor and many others, is insanely inventive and deserves attempting to follow in full. We posted a painting by Zejian a couple of years ago. Since then her comics have rocketed in their ambitious insanity.
- Cats flying out of speakers and our technology addiction: highlights from Channel 4 Random Acts
- Kyle Bean's tactile simulacrums are brought to life with wit and precision
- Margot Bowman rethinks the selfie and the future of personalisation
- Warriors Studio and Freytag Anderson explore process and dialogue in new identity for GDFS 16
- Gorgeous Memphis-inspired, primary colour-packed work from Benjamin Rawson
- A cacophony of styles come together for this wacky promo animation for Gutter Fest
- The new Sagmeister & Walsh website has a live feed from a snake enclosure and a new naked photo (NSFW)
- Don't Hug Me I'm Scared - an exclusive interview with Duck, Red Guy and Yellow Guy
- The Co-op returns to its old “clover leaf” logo from the 1960s
- Sexual, surreal and disturbing: the weird work of super-skilled Claudia Maté
- The best design courses in the UK, according to The Guardian University Guide 2017
- Ace new Laura Callaghan work calls BS on the idea that we can be "whatever we want to be"