Zejian Shen’s comics are inky and bloody and consistently surprising. From the snogging couple pulled over for drink driving in the cosmos, to the murdering motorcycling cactus-haired skeleton, her comics go on speedy, surreal, jam-packed trips. And from two shipwrecked alcoholics spinning for the first sip to the insatiable bee buzzing randily from one flower to another, although you’re never sure where these comics will take you, you’re sure to be met with things you’ve not even contemplated imagining.
Along with the filthy sex and violence, there’s a few touching hints at falling in love, missing connections and looking out for one another. Party Plans, her ongoing saga detailing Victor Volcano’s epic birthday scandal featuring Bobby Basilisk, Betty Boulder, Max Meteor and many others, is insanely inventive and deserves attempting to follow in full. We posted a painting by Zejian a couple of years ago. Since then her comics have rocketed in their ambitious insanity.
- Ustwo says RELAX! with new meditation app Pause
- Workwear: animator Paul Layzell on sports and nostalgia in his style
- Promoting academia with zig-zags, giant facial features and old trash: a masterclass from designer Nejc Prah
- Surreal, disturbing, NSFW and utterly thrilling: the work of Jon Rafman
- Lukas Ackermann’s playfully abstract identity for new Zurich culture hub
- Things! The finest bits and bobs we were sent in September
- Photographing the choreography and chaos of the England cheerleading team
- Russian photographer Erik Panov's latex and salmon themed fashion shoot
- New Channel 4 identity by creative dream team of 4Creative, Jonathan Glazer, Neville Brody and DBLG
- An insight into The Guardian’s newly released brand guidelines
- Art and architecture get exhibitions and galleries: graphic design should too
- Graphic identity lovers rejoice: “an unprecedented catalogue of modern trademarks” is here