Zejian Shen’s comics are inky and bloody and consistently surprising. From the snogging couple pulled over for drink driving in the cosmos, to the murdering motorcycling cactus-haired skeleton, her comics go on speedy, surreal, jam-packed trips. And from two shipwrecked alcoholics spinning for the first sip to the insatiable bee buzzing randily from one flower to another, although you’re never sure where these comics will take you, you’re sure to be met with things you’ve not even contemplated imagining.
Along with the filthy sex and violence, there’s a few touching hints at falling in love, missing connections and looking out for one another. Party Plans, her ongoing saga detailing Victor Volcano’s epic birthday scandal featuring Bobby Basilisk, Betty Boulder, Max Meteor and many others, is insanely inventive and deserves attempting to follow in full. We posted a painting by Zejian a couple of years ago. Since then her comics have rocketed in their ambitious insanity.
- Gender politics, feminism and Kanye West – the world according to Vanessa Beecroft
- Allen Jones' Maîtresse, a series of S&M-inspired paintings
- First Dates for those who create: London agency Form on their working relationship
- Air-brushed psychedelia and neon lights abound in Robert Beatty’s new work
- Jack Davison shoots parrots with PTSD for The New York Times Magazine
- Graphic design work to challenge and empower the reader
- Racy photography from the new issue of Odiseo
- How to beat creative block: one designer offers his invaluable advice
- Bureau Mirko Borsche works with Nike Basketball on a new graphic language
- Meditation and creativity: should we believe the hype?
- VSCO develops new typeface and a symbol-based language as part of its rebrand
- More salaciously surreal illustrations from French duo Mrzyk & Moriceau