Art Chantry, Emmett McBain, Rebeca Méndez, Mark Randall, Nancy Skolos, Tom Wedell and Lance Wyman will be awarded the AIGA medal this year. The medals, presented by the AIGA since 1920, are given to individuals who “have set standards of excellence over a lifetime of work or have made individual contributions to innovation within the practice of design.”
The awards will be presented in New York on the 21 April. Each of this year’s winners is celebrated in an essay on the AIGA website, each presented with a citation.
Lance Wyman is recognised for “his mastery of visual ecosystems and for setting the standard for the universal, public design experience,” while Art Chantry was selected for “his intrepid exploration of subculture visual communication and his fearless celebration of cultural diversity”.
Rebeca Méndez is recognised for “challenging and transforming academia and design with her innovative interplay of identity and culture” and Emmett McBain for his “evolutionary design leadership and profound social impact in cofounding Burrell-McBain Advertising”.
The 2017 awards committee was chaired by Bonnie Siegler and also includes Andrew Blauvelt, director at Cranbrook Art Museum; Antionette Carroll, CEO and president of the Creative Reaction Lab; Brian Collins, CCO and co-founder of Collins; Denise Gonzales Crisp, professor at North Carolina State University College of Design; and Terry Irwin, head of the Carnegie Mellon University School of Design.
This year’s winners join an illustrious list of designers who have already been awarded the medal including Bruce Mau, Paula Scher, George Nelson, Herb Lubalin, Saul Bass and Josef Albers.
- Twin brothers V/A/B on their “difficultly simple” approach to design
- The people’s choice, it’s Best of the Web!
- Larry Hallegua captures sun worshippers on Pattaya Beach in Thailand
- Lukas Korshan photographs Dulwich Hamlet FC, where you can “drink beer, stand up, and let loose"
- “The field is stretching itself bigger and bigger” - Jurgen Bey on design education and infinite possibility
- Peter Judson messes with depth perception in new personal project, Infection
- Fashion photographer Miles Aldridge shoots the cast of Game of Thrones for Time Magazine
- The Netherlands’ royal crest changes gender for national women’s football team kit by Nike
- Peek inside erotic magazine Odiseo’s very NSFW tenth issue
- Rick and Morty’s Exquisite Corpse trailer features 22 animators including Simon Landrein and Bendik Kaltenborn
- Design director, Gail Bichler, on The New York Times Magazine typography exhibition
- Mark Shaw captures the glamour of haute couture runways from the 1950s