The Barbican is set to show new work by Irish artist and Deutsche Börse Photography Prize winner Richard Mosse. Richard Mosse has teamed up with electronic composer Ben Frost and cinematographer Trevor Tweeten for Incoming, a striking video installation capturing the experience of refugees and migrants.
Using innovative weapons-grade technology which allows the user to track heat generated by human bodies over 30km away, Richard Mosse has built a powerful, human insight into the refugee crisis across the Middle East, Europe and North Africa in locations including the Aegean Sea, Libya, Syria, the Sahara and the Persian Gulf.
By producing images through a military telephoto camera, Richard Mosse forces his viewer to “see” human bodies in the same way as missiles would. In a critical essay in Incoming, the book which accompanies the exhibition published by Mack, the artist notes that “the camera carries a certain aesthetic violence, dehumanising the subject, portraying people in zombie form as monstrous, stripping the individual from the body and portraying a human as mere biological trace.”
Richard Mosse’s Incoming will run at the Barbican from 15 February – 23 April.
- Hey presto, it's Best of the Web!
- Paris-based Studio Jimbo creates "impact and power" with punchy poster designs
- Minju An's oddly sinister illustrations depict strange characters and floating bread
- Friday Mixtape: Warpaint's Glastonbury picks
- Karifurav Caihua’s weirdly erotic Japanese-inspired illustrations
- High octane Nike China animation gets kids to wear their bandages as a “badge of honour”
- “Evolve or die”: Bloomberg Businessweek creative director Rob Vargas on the magazine’s redesign
- Southbank Centre visual identity redesigned by North, to be a “confident masthead” for the institution
- Photographer Khadija Saye has died in the Grenfell Tower fire, her family confirm
- The Buzzfeed redesign: UK art director Tim Lane talks us through his seven-month overhaul
- Alex Norris’ hilarious three-panelled webcomics are universally appealing
- Fresh Yale grad Franci Virgili applies an academic approach to graphic design