A site-specific artwork by French artist Daniel Buren has been installed in the Frank Gehry-designed Fondation Louis Vuitton in Paris. Daniel coated the building’s sail-like glazing in a chequer board of colour by strategically arranging filters in 13 shades across the cultural institute’s 3,600 glass panes.
Best known for his stripy, colour-blocked installations and architectural interventions, Daniel has worked on similar projects at New York’s Bortolami gallery and the Baltic Gateshead. Daniel and Frank have known each other for more than 40 years and in 2007 the artist reconfigured Bilbao’s La Salve Bridge to frame the architect’s Guggenheim Museum Bilbao for its tenth anniversary.
Speaking to the Fondation’s curator Suzanne Pagé, Daniel said that the project (called The Observatory of Light) was an opportunity to playfully tinker with the idiosyncrasies of the building while paying homage to his friend’s design. “There is a quantity of mirror effects here at the Fondation that actually don’t come from mirrors but from the windows,” he explained. “When the sails are coloured these refections become much more present and make these ‘dormant’ mirrors more active.” The result throws coloured light around the building and its surroundings, revealing new geometric configurations depending on the viewer’s perspective and transforming the formerly monochrome structure into a towering kaleidoscope.
- Twin brothers V/A/B on their “difficultly simple” approach to design
- The people’s choice, it’s Best of the Web!
- Larry Hallegua captures sun worshippers on Pattaya Beach in Thailand
- Lukas Korshan photographs Dulwich Hamlet FC, where you can “drink beer, stand up, and let loose"
- “The field is stretching itself bigger and bigger” - Jurgen Bey on design education and infinite possibility
- Peter Judson messes with depth perception in new personal project, Infection
- Fashion photographer Miles Aldridge shoots the cast of Game of Thrones for Time Magazine
- The Netherlands’ royal crest changes gender for national women’s football team kit by Nike
- Peek inside erotic magazine Odiseo’s very NSFW tenth issue
- Rick and Morty’s Exquisite Corpse trailer features 22 animators including Simon Landrein and Bendik Kaltenborn
- Design director, Gail Bichler, on The New York Times Magazine typography exhibition
- Mark Shaw captures the glamour of haute couture runways from the 1950s