The Design Business Association’s annual awards for design effectiveness were announced last night, with 42 winners selected for the “tangible and measurable” effect they have had on business success. The top prize went to DIY brand Graft, branded by Huddersfield-based design studio The Engine Room, after it was proven to have increased sales revenue by 744%.
Among a myriad of design prizes, this award aims to prove design’s value to business with numerical evidence of its positive effects.
Polyseam, a UK manufacturer of own-brand products for DIY retailers, commissioned The Engine Room to come up with a brand strategy to turn around its declining sales, and an identity for a new product. Based on research it conducted, the agency’s strategy was to redesign the manufacturer’s entire range with a bold, colourful brand identity. This, it says, has resulted in a 22:1 revenue return on design investment.
“[Design] closes the gap between business risk and market success,” says Deborah Dawton, CEO of the DBA. “In these unpredictable times, the design sector should be confident in our ability to thrive in uncertainty… when it comes to our nation’s competitiveness, infusing design universally into business should be a priority in order to drive long-term growth and economic advantage for the UK.”
- Dime Shriyeav’s textured poster designs incorporate hand-drawn and digital elements
- Hai-Hsin Huang’s detailed and delicate illustrations present “the lightness of being”
- Laurent Eisler draws playful figures in “precariously balanced compositions”
- Small Gods magazine explores “anomalies of the drone”
- Adam Wells animates Love and Radio’s Dan Deacon interview through obtuse vignettes
- Cat Sims confronts issues of social housing in latest zine, Space
- Fashion photographer Miles Aldridge shoots the cast of Game of Thrones for Time Magazine
- The Netherlands’ royal crest changes gender for national women’s football team kit by Nike
- Peek inside erotic magazine Odiseo’s very NSFW tenth issue
- Rick and Morty’s Exquisite Corpse trailer features 22 animators including Simon Landrein and Bendik Kaltenborn
- Design director, Gail Bichler, on The New York Times Magazine typography exhibition
- Mark Shaw captures the glamour of haute couture runways from the 1950s