An auction to raise funds for the Design Museum’s new building in London features one-off items donated by Jony Ive, Rolf Sachs, Antony Gormley, Norman Foster and the Zaha Hadid Foundation. The collection is open for public viewing from 22-28 April at Phillips auction house in Mayfair, before the live auction on the 28th. It is also being auctioned online until 2 May.
The collection also features work by Thomas Heatherwick, Richard Woods, Frank Gehry, Paola Petrobelli, Paul Cocksedge, Martino Gamper, Michele De Lucchi and Geraldine Prieur.
The Apple design team, headed by Jony Ive, donated a unique iPad Pro, smart cover, and Apple pencil and holder. Ron Arad has given his own unique vinyl-wrapped Fiat 500 to the collection, while Rolf Sachs has also contributed a Ron Arad design, the London Papardelle chair.
Antony Gormley has donated one of his sculptures, Small Spall III, and Michael Craig-Martin’s Timetable desk was donated by the artist and Carpenters Workshop Gallery. The Norman Foster Foundation has contributed a gold-finished version of the architect’s Arc table for Molteni&C, while the Zaha Hadid Foundation has given a set of three Bianco Covelano low tables from Zaha’s Mercuric collection.
All profits from the Time for Design sale will go towards the Design Museum’s new building in Holland Park, London. It was co-curated by Design Museum director Deyan Sudjic and Alexander Payne, worldwide director of design at Phillips.
- “Noise, exertion and rebellion”: Ari Marcopoulos’ latest exhibition, Machine
- Amsterdam-based photographer Lois Cohen’s "absurd" portraits
- Greg Barth puts world peace to a public vote in satirical film, Epic Fail
- Julia Petrova conveys mystery and darkness in her landscape illustrations
- Deividas Buivydas documents Boston, Lincolnshire, a town known as “the face of Brexit"
- Justin Sloane applies his blunt and nuanced ethos to multidisciplinary design
- Fashion photographer Miles Aldridge shoots the cast of Game of Thrones for Time Magazine
- The Netherlands’ royal crest changes gender for national women’s football team kit by Nike
- Peek inside erotic magazine Odiseo’s very NSFW tenth issue
- Rick and Morty’s Exquisite Corpse trailer features 22 animators including Simon Landrein and Bendik Kaltenborn
- Design director, Gail Bichler, on The New York Times Magazine typography exhibition
- Mark Shaw captures the glamour of haute couture runways from the 1950s