An auction to raise funds for the Design Museum’s new building in London features one-off items donated by Jony Ive, Rolf Sachs, Antony Gormley, Norman Foster and the Zaha Hadid Foundation. The collection is open for public viewing from 22-28 April at Phillips auction house in Mayfair, before the live auction on the 28th. It is also being auctioned online until 2 May.
The collection also features work by Thomas Heatherwick, Richard Woods, Frank Gehry, Paola Petrobelli, Paul Cocksedge, Martino Gamper, Michele De Lucchi and Geraldine Prieur.
The Apple design team, headed by Jony Ive, donated a unique iPad Pro, smart cover, and Apple pencil and holder. Ron Arad has given his own unique vinyl-wrapped Fiat 500 to the collection, while Rolf Sachs has also contributed a Ron Arad design, the London Papardelle chair.
Antony Gormley has donated one of his sculptures, Small Spall III, and Michael Craig-Martin’s Timetable desk was donated by the artist and Carpenters Workshop Gallery. The Norman Foster Foundation has contributed a gold-finished version of the architect’s Arc table for Molteni&C, while the Zaha Hadid Foundation has given a set of three Bianco Covelano low tables from Zaha’s Mercuric collection.
All profits from the Time for Design sale will go towards the Design Museum’s new building in Holland Park, London. It was co-curated by Design Museum director Deyan Sudjic and Alexander Payne, worldwide director of design at Phillips.
- Brian Blomerth illustrates a “trippers guide” to the iPhone 64
- Alex de Mora on shooting Vice parties and famous footballers
- Natacha Paschal’s “deformed” interpretations of mag covers and fashion ads
- Leipzig graphic design studio Lamm & Kirch on their shared ethos
- Photographer Adrian Samson plays with space and perspective in this series of “still lifes”
- Photographer Sophie Green captures pagans at Stonehenge's summer solstice
- “Evolve or die”: Bloomberg Businessweek creative director Rob Vargas on the magazine’s redesign
- Southbank Centre visual identity redesigned by North, to be a “confident masthead” for the institution
- Photographer Khadija Saye has died in the Grenfell Tower fire, her family confirm
- The Buzzfeed redesign: UK art director Tim Lane talks us through his seven-month overhaul
- Alex Norris’ hilarious three-panelled webcomics are universally appealing
- Fresh Yale grad Franci Virgili applies an academic approach to graphic design