Jean Jullien’s first monograph, Modern Life, has been published by teNeues, with a foreword by actor Jesse Eisenberg. Jean illustrated the cover and internal images for Jesse’s 2015 fiction book Bream Gives Me Hiccups: And Other Stories.
Modern Life brings together over 150 of Jean’s illustrations gathered from his editorial commissions and Instagram posts. The theme tying the book together is his satirical view on contemporary culture, exemplified by the cover illustration of a man bound by iPhone cables trying desperately to reach another device. From comments on self image to the joy of Fridays, the book celebrates the work of the hugely successful illustrator and his flair for depicting the familiar in a wry, charismatic way.
“Jean uncovers the humour and simple beauty that exists in the people, places, and things that surround him,” says teNeues. “Understanding that visual communication can often be the most direct and immediately understood, [he] cleverly and candidly reveals in his artwork the hilarious realities and universal truths of human behaviour and modern life that connect us all.”
The 160-page, hardback book is €24.90, available now. Read our interview with Jean here.
- The wacky, zany and eccentric world of illustrator Egle Zvirblyte
- Maziyar Pahlevan’s monochrome portfolio is full of typographic experiments
- The cut glass assemblages of graphic-turned-3D designer Juli Bolaños-Durman
- Photographer Mico Toledo documents the defiant protestors of Standing Rock
- Kevin Umaña’s abstract paintings portray a musical symphony
- The delicately ornate, but very cheeky sculptures of Liv and Dom
- Wolff Olins and zigbee launch the “first open-source brand for the Internet of Things”
- Too Fast To Think: why switching off unlocks creativity
- Graphic Design Festival Paris reveals 19 sport-inspired posters by Hort, Julia, Spassky Fischer and more
- FKA twigs teams up with 17 year old photographer David Uzochukwu for new Nike campaign
- Special Projects on why, sometimes, design is best kept simple
- Brian Finke captures the glitz and glamour of the Ms. Senior America beauty pageant