Jean Jullien’s first monograph, Modern Life, has been published by teNeues, with a foreword by actor Jesse Eisenberg. Jean illustrated the cover and internal images for Jesse’s 2015 fiction book Bream Gives Me Hiccups: And Other Stories.
Modern Life brings together over 150 of Jean’s illustrations gathered from his editorial commissions and Instagram posts. The theme tying the book together is his satirical view on contemporary culture, exemplified by the cover illustration of a man bound by iPhone cables trying desperately to reach another device. From comments on self image to the joy of Fridays, the book celebrates the work of the hugely successful illustrator and his flair for depicting the familiar in a wry, charismatic way.
“Jean uncovers the humour and simple beauty that exists in the people, places, and things that surround him,” says teNeues. “Understanding that visual communication can often be the most direct and immediately understood, [he] cleverly and candidly reveals in his artwork the hilarious realities and universal truths of human behaviour and modern life that connect us all.”
The 160-page, hardback book is €24.90, available now. Read our interview with Jean here.
- Fear of a flat planet: Heatherwick Studio’s adventures with clay
- Graphic designer Braulio Amado picks out his favourite posters of 2016 from his new book
- Nice Threads, Mate embroiders throwaway British culture in incredible detail
- The high-powered fashion photography of duo Florence & Nicolas
- Beehives, blondes and boobs: Dolly Faibyshev photographs Dollypalooza
- Bold Decisions tests a type specimen’s form in personable font, Lars
- The return of the hovering art director: we asked comic artist Nadine Redlich to peer inside agency life
- YouTube releases its first own-brand font, YouTube Sans, inspired by the play button
- Photographer Raymond Rojas captures the “magic” in Disneyland Paris
- How to go freelance: need-to-know advice from creatives who made it
- Paul Rand’s IBM Graphic Standards Manual to be reissued
- Stefan Sagmeister speaks to It's Nice That about The Beauty Project