Jean Jullien’s first monograph, Modern Life, has been published by teNeues, with a foreword by actor Jesse Eisenberg. Jean illustrated the cover and internal images for Jesse’s 2015 fiction book Bream Gives Me Hiccups: And Other Stories.
Modern Life brings together over 150 of Jean’s illustrations gathered from his editorial commissions and Instagram posts. The theme tying the book together is his satirical view on contemporary culture, exemplified by the cover illustration of a man bound by iPhone cables trying desperately to reach another device. From comments on self image to the joy of Fridays, the book celebrates the work of the hugely successful illustrator and his flair for depicting the familiar in a wry, charismatic way.
“Jean uncovers the humour and simple beauty that exists in the people, places, and things that surround him,” says teNeues. “Understanding that visual communication can often be the most direct and immediately understood, [he] cleverly and candidly reveals in his artwork the hilarious realities and universal truths of human behaviour and modern life that connect us all.”
The 160-page, hardback book is €24.90, available now. Read our interview with Jean here.
- Twin brothers V/A/B on their “difficultly simple” approach to design
- The people’s choice, it’s Best of the Web!
- Larry Hallegua captures sun worshippers on Pattaya Beach in Thailand
- Lukas Korshan photographs Dulwich Hamlet FC, where you can “drink beer, stand up, and let loose"
- “The field is stretching itself bigger and bigger” - Jurgen Bey on design education and infinite possibility
- Peter Judson messes with depth perception in new personal project, Infection
- Fashion photographer Miles Aldridge shoots the cast of Game of Thrones for Time Magazine
- The Netherlands’ royal crest changes gender for national women’s football team kit by Nike
- Peek inside erotic magazine Odiseo’s very NSFW tenth issue
- Rick and Morty’s Exquisite Corpse trailer features 22 animators including Simon Landrein and Bendik Kaltenborn
- Design director, Gail Bichler, on The New York Times Magazine typography exhibition
- Mark Shaw captures the glamour of haute couture runways from the 1950s