Jean Jullien’s first monograph, Modern Life, has been published by teNeues, with a foreword by actor Jesse Eisenberg. Jean illustrated the cover and internal images for Jesse’s 2015 fiction book Bream Gives Me Hiccups: And Other Stories.
Modern Life brings together over 150 of Jean’s illustrations gathered from his editorial commissions and Instagram posts. The theme tying the book together is his satirical view on contemporary culture, exemplified by the cover illustration of a man bound by iPhone cables trying desperately to reach another device. From comments on self image to the joy of Fridays, the book celebrates the work of the hugely successful illustrator and his flair for depicting the familiar in a wry, charismatic way.
“Jean uncovers the humour and simple beauty that exists in the people, places, and things that surround him,” says teNeues. “Understanding that visual communication can often be the most direct and immediately understood, [he] cleverly and candidly reveals in his artwork the hilarious realities and universal truths of human behaviour and modern life that connect us all.”
The 160-page, hardback book is €24.90, available now. Read our interview with Jean here.
- Back once again, it's Best of the Web!
- Photographers Kelia Anne MacCluskey and Luca Venter explore the limits of reality
- Gabriella Boyd’s paintings capture fleeting moments of intimacy
- Friday Mixtape: Because Music's Jane Third creates a lo-fi electronic mix
- Magic Party Place: CJ Clarke photographs Basildon, Essex over ten years
- Diane Fox distorts the “illusion of the diorama” with beguiling images of museum exhibits
- Photographer Trent Davis Bailey documents rural American community The North Fork
- Mr Bingo’s Valentine’s cards for single people
- Leipzig-based graphic designer Anja Kaiser takes us through her portfolio
- Why creative education for advertising is stuck in the dark ages
- Japanese graphic designer Ryu Mieno creates type-heavy works fizzing with energy
- Graphic artist Patrick Thomas’ found poster collages