Adding an extension to a Le Corbusier building is controversial to say the least, but on the 50th anniversary of the inimitable architect’s death, this is exactly the task the founder and curator of the museum at Villa Le Lac has set ten of today’s leading architects for the exhibition Homage to Le Corbusier.
Le Corbusier’s startling spare Villa Le Lac is synonymous with functionalism and innovation. The small, flat-roofed Lausanne lakehouse built for his parents is perhaps one of the architect’s simplest (and most personal) designs and yet crystallised several of his most innovative ideas.
Daniel Libeskind, Zaha Hadid, Mario Botta, Toyo Ito, SANAA, Rudy Ricciotti, Bernard Tschumi, Gigon/Guyer, Alvaro Siza and Rafael Moneo’s have all submitted proposals for extensions of Villa Le Lac. Their proposals run the gamut from designs that honour the original building to brazen splashes of ego. Libeskind suggests raising the villa on the thin white columns (pilotis) integral to Le Corbusier’s designs, whilst Zaha Hadid has submitted a characteristically neofuturist canopy to completely cover the modest house, and French architect Rudy Ricciotti has proposed building a subterranean dining room with a glass wall looking underwater.
The exhibition displays their contributions as well as Le Corbusier’s own drawings, and photographs taken between 1920 and 1930, and is one of this year’s many shows celebrating his outstanding contributions to modern architecture.
Homage to Le Corbusier is on at Villa Le Lac in Lausanne until October 27.
- Graphic designer Cecilia Serafini uses typography with vibrant panache
- London-based Osheyi Adebayo references his childhood in his retro graphic design
- Tristan Pigott paints “real contemporaries” in upcoming solo exhibition, Juicy Bits
- “The great thing about this book is you don’t have to read it”: sculptor Wilfrid Wood on his favourite books
- The return of the hovering art director: Nejc Prah visualises a day in the life of four art directors
- Hippolyte Cupillard’s film follows the dreamlike ascent of a mountain climber
- The return of the hovering art director: we asked comic artist Nadine Redlich to peer inside agency life
- Photographer Carlota Guerrero depicts the female body as a canvas for Apartamento (NSFW)
- After Disney, Nickelodeon and Cartoon Network, Miranda Tacchia’s characters found life on Instagram
- How to go freelance: need-to-know advice from creatives who made it
- YouTube releases its first own-brand font, YouTube Sans, inspired by the play button
- Photographer Raymond Rojas captures the “magic” in Disneyland Paris