The iconic collage artist Sir Peter Blake has created his largest work to date for the Mandarin Oriental Hotel in Knightsbridge, London. The collage which spans the size of 38 double decker buses, will wrap around the building whilst it undergoes an £85 million renovation.
Peter Blake’s artwork created with London advertising, features 99 prominent faces and regular guests of the Mandarin Oriential, from Helen Mirren to Morgan Freeman. The collage is created in a similar vein to Peter Blake’s celebrated artwork for The Beatles’ 1967 album, Sergeant Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band, which celebrates its 50th anniversary this year.
Despite being in Peter’s familiar style he explains the experience was completely new, “This artwork was very different to my usual way of working,” says the artist. “A collage is very time consuming and laborious, but this was more a matter of arranging the figures and making them work together – making sure no one had a cut-off shoulder or missing legs – that’s the skill of it. It was an amazing project to work on. Hopefully, people passing by will try to spot celebrities they recognise.”
- Spin studio shares its latest work and how to perk up "depressed-looking" v’s
- Animator Dan Castro tackles the intricacies of relationships in this funny short
- “I don't want to lose my connection with the tangible”: illustrator Jack Taylor on his new digital and 3D process
- Greta Thorkels: a graphic designer creating Gilmore Girls zines and record sleeves
- Grégory Michenaud’s ongoing project sees him explore identity in a Hasidic Jewish community
- Photographer Gilleam Trapenberg explores macho culture against rose-tinted skies in Big Papi
- The New York Times Magazine’s new cover is actually a painting
- BBC’s new typeface BBC Reith is designed to improve legibility on screen
- “It needs to be normalised that women masturbate”: meet illustrator Jordyn McGeachin
- Life through the lens of enchanting photographer Vicki King
- Six months in the (enviable) life of photographer Ryan Lowry
- We get to know hilarious and thoughtful illustrator, Ruby Etc