Plumen has launched its new lightbulb, Plumen 003, an LED lamp that combines engineering with product and jewellery design.
This is the latest low-energy bulb from Nicolas Roope’s design studio Hulger, and has been five years in the making. Its rounded, bell-shaped glass form was designed by Clare Norcross, and its golden, multi-faceted core was designed by jewellery designer Marie-Laure Giroux.
The patented design gives both a downward spotlight and an ambient light created by the golden core, which is made from anodised aluminium. The criss-cross texture on the fluted shapes disperses the light from the LED bulb inside, causing the light to bounce around and create a warm, diffused glow.
“Sustainable design often lacks sex appeal – LED bulbs being no exception,” says Nicolas. “Since our original idea, LED technology has come on in leaps and bounds. Previous gripes over light quality, colour temperature, reliability and brightness have all faded. To persuade all those who still haven’t moved to low energy lighting, we knew we needed something really special to tempt them in. We needed some seductive sustainability.”
The brand’s first bulb, Plumen 001, won the Designs of the Year prize in 2011, and though Plumen 002 was released in 2014, the company has been simultaneously developing its third product, which launched today.
- “Noise, exertion and rebellion”: Ari Marcopoulos’ latest exhibition, Machine
- Amsterdam-based photographer Lois Cohen’s "absurd" portraits
- Greg Barth puts world peace to a public vote in satirical film, Epic Fail
- Julia Petrova conveys mystery and darkness in her landscape illustrations
- Deividas Buivydas documents Boston, Lincolnshire, a town known as “the face of Brexit"
- Justin Sloane applies his blunt and nuanced ethos to multidisciplinary design
- Fashion photographer Miles Aldridge shoots the cast of Game of Thrones for Time Magazine
- The Netherlands’ royal crest changes gender for national women’s football team kit by Nike
- Peek inside erotic magazine Odiseo’s very NSFW tenth issue
- Rick and Morty’s Exquisite Corpse trailer features 22 animators including Simon Landrein and Bendik Kaltenborn
- Design director, Gail Bichler, on The New York Times Magazine typography exhibition
- Mark Shaw captures the glamour of haute couture runways from the 1950s