Sampha has worked with designer Grace Wales Bonner, Dazed art director Jamie Reid and photographers the Durimel twins and Tom Ordonyo on a zine, titled Shy Light. The zine is a “visual exploration” of Sampha’s album Process, formed as “a collage of experiences”, referencing his roots in Morden and Sierra Leone.
Art directed by Jamie and Grace, it features lyrics, photographs from Sampha’s personal archive and studio, and a photographic series by Jalan and Jibril Durimel inspired by Freetown, Sierra Leone. Joyce NG, one of It’s Nice That’s Ones to Watch, also features on the credit list.
The 32-page full-colour zine will be available in June but today WeTransfer Studios is publishing a free, downloadable digital preview here.
To mark the release of the zine, WeTransfer’s blog ThisWorks is also publishing an interview by Gilles Peterson, the company’s creative director, with Sampha about his upbringing, creating his album, working with Solange, and returning to Sierra Leone. “It’s such an extravagantly beautiful country,” he says. “That’s maybe a light that’s not shone on Sierra Leone very often.”
The zine is a continuation of the themes and ideas explored in Kahlil Joseph’s film for Sampha, also called Process. Sampha has previously worked with Grace Wales Bonner, as he wrote and produced the soundtrack to her AW17 menswear show.
- Fear of a flat planet: Heatherwick Studio’s adventures with clay
- Graphic designer Braulio Amado picks out his favourite posters of 2016 from his new book
- Nice Threads, Mate embroiders throwaway British culture in incredible detail
- The high-powered fashion photography of duo Florence & Nicolas
- Beehives, blondes and boobs: Dolly Faibyshev photographs Dollypalooza
- Bold Decisions tests a type specimen’s form in personable font, Lars
- The return of the hovering art director: we asked comic artist Nadine Redlich to peer inside agency life
- YouTube releases its first own-brand font, YouTube Sans, inspired by the play button
- Photographer Raymond Rojas captures the “magic” in Disneyland Paris
- How to go freelance: need-to-know advice from creatives who made it
- Paul Rand’s IBM Graphic Standards Manual to be reissued
- Stefan Sagmeister speaks to It's Nice That about The Beauty Project