Sampha has worked with designer Grace Wales Bonner, Dazed art director Jamie Reid and photographers the Durimel twins and Tom Ordonyo on a zine, titled Shy Light. The zine is a “visual exploration” of Sampha’s album Process, formed as “a collage of experiences”, referencing his roots in Morden and Sierra Leone.
Art directed by Jamie and Grace, it features lyrics, photographs from Sampha’s personal archive and studio, and a photographic series by Jalan and Jibril Durimel inspired by Freetown, Sierra Leone. Joyce NG, one of It’s Nice That’s Ones to Watch, also features on the credit list.
The 32-page full-colour zine will be available in June but today WeTransfer Studios is publishing a free, downloadable digital preview here.
To mark the release of the zine, WeTransfer’s blog ThisWorks is also publishing an interview by Gilles Peterson, the company’s creative director, with Sampha about his upbringing, creating his album, working with Solange, and returning to Sierra Leone. “It’s such an extravagantly beautiful country,” he says. “That’s maybe a light that’s not shone on Sierra Leone very often.”
The zine is a continuation of the themes and ideas explored in Kahlil Joseph’s film for Sampha, also called Process. Sampha has previously worked with Grace Wales Bonner, as he wrote and produced the soundtrack to her AW17 menswear show.
- David Lewandowski’s floppy rubber bodies take over the streets of Japan
- Ella Bucknall tackles the “boy’s club” of political cartooning in her new zine, Whip
- Anna Haifisch bends the rules of comics in new floppy and oversized book, Drifter
- Illustrator Jill Senft creates fun and whimsy with her cavalcade of pink characters
- White Flag project that is tackling global division and the “growing fear of the stranger”
- Meet the Swiss duo behind graphic design agency Cécile + Roger
- Alex Norris’ hilarious three-panelled webcomics are universally appealing
- Southbank Centre visual identity redesigned by North, to be a “confident masthead” for the institution
- The Buzzfeed redesign: UK art director Tim Lane talks us through his seven-month overhaul
- Fresh Yale grad Franci Virgili applies an academic approach to graphic design
- Instagram co-founder Mike Krieger on how to stand out
- Leipzig graphic design studio Lamm & Kirch on their shared ethos