Swiss graphic design outfit Studio Feixen redesigned the most-read daily newspaper in Switzerland, 20 Minuten, for just one day as part of a collaboration with Samsung. The studio worked with Swiss ad agency Jung von Matt, which ran the campaign to promote the launch of the Samsung Galaxy S8 in Switzerland and – instead of regular ads – pitched a one-off “design” edition of the commuter paper.
Layouts are overlaid with brightly coloured graphics, such as brushstrokes and dots, mimicking the swipe or tap of a thumb on a phone screen, and lava-lamp-like globules, that bring new energy to the pages. The studio was given complete freedom to customise the paper, and the designers’ dynamic identity comes through in the visuals and their accompanying articles, from vibrant highlights to red, angry scribbles.
The paper was published Friday 28 April to a mixed response, with some readers commenting on social media that elements of the design made the text difficult to read. 20 Minuten later responded on Facebook, apologising for putting readers through an “admittedly hard test”. “This design issue is an experiment as to how far the interplay between form and content can go. An experiment we will surely not repeat”.
Chief editor Marco Boselli explains in a short film about the project this is the first time the newspaper has revamped its whole layout for a one-off run, so “we wanted to create an iconic edition.. but it had major challenges”.
- Peter Judson messes with depth perception in new personal project, Infection
- Friday Mixtape: Robbie Simon's mix for a party at 9am, with no end in sight
- Jack Davison captures the “progress of time” for Noon magazine
- Kyung Me’s detailed series tells the tale of a cat struggling with identity
- Dressed in Black: the resolute book covers of the Spektrum series
- Dima Shriyeav’s textured poster designs incorporate hand-drawn and digital elements
- Fashion photographer Miles Aldridge shoots the cast of Game of Thrones for Time Magazine
- The Netherlands’ royal crest changes gender for national women’s football team kit by Nike
- Peek inside erotic magazine Odiseo’s very NSFW tenth issue
- Rick and Morty’s Exquisite Corpse trailer features 22 animators including Simon Landrein and Bendik Kaltenborn
- Design director, Gail Bichler, on The New York Times Magazine typography exhibition
- Mark Shaw captures the glamour of haute couture runways from the 1950s