Tate Modern has today launched a programme of free events as part of its Tate Exchange initiative. The first, a collaborative project with Central Saint Martins titled This Is An Art School, will see students, alumni and staff enrol the public in free studio workshops, lectures and art classes. By giving a taster of it’s like to attend art school, the project looks to “explore the future of arts education and barriers to studying and making a career in the arts within the context of the current economic, political and social climate”.
There’s no selection or interview process to attend the temporary school, just “a requirement that you commit to action”. The project is driven by concerns around what Central Saint Martins calls a “systematic assault on arts education in the UK”.
Tate Exchange will host over 100 events this year in conjunction with 53 organisations, including a project focusing on migration, organised by Counterpoints Arts, Loughborough University, the Open University and the University of Warwick. Another will examine homelessness through workshops drawn from the personal experience of ex-servicemen, artists and others, organised by the Museum of Homelessness.
Frances Morris, director of the Tate Modern, said of the programme: “We are very excited to have, for the first time at Tate Modern, an open and accessible forum for visitors from a broad diversity of backgrounds to explore for themselves how art can inform and enrich our understanding of the world.”
- Photographer Damien Maloney on working intuitively and playing with reality
- “Prayer paintings, manga and motivational images”: Gitte Maria Moller's cryptic artworks
- Jad Hussein's tropical catalogue design for Paris exhibition Jamaica, Jamaica
- From Lemon Twigs to Laura Marling: Hollie Fernando’s painterly photography folio
- Hey presto, it's Best of the Web!
- Paris-based Studio Jimbo creates "impact and power" with punchy poster designs
- Alex Norris’ hilarious three-panelled webcomics are universally appealing
- Southbank Centre visual identity redesigned by North, to be a “confident masthead” for the institution
- The Buzzfeed redesign: UK art director Tim Lane talks us through his seven-month overhaul
- Fresh Yale grad Franci Virgili applies an academic approach to graphic design
- Instagram co-founder Mike Krieger on how to stand out
- Leipzig graphic design studio Lamm & Kirch on their shared ethos