The Guardian has published its university guide for 2018, accompanied by illustrations by Adam Avery, animated by Simon Roberts. The league table ranks UK universities overall and based on 54 subject areas, and can be filtered by a specific course, region and institution.
It is based on a Guardian score out of 100, a rating based on a combination of criteria – are also listed separately – including satisfaction with course, teaching and feedback, student to staff ratio, spend per student, average entry tariff, value added and whether students have a career after six months.
Dundee tops the list for design and crafts, followed by Loughborough, Goldsmiths and Kent (joint third), Leeds College of Art, Portsmouth, Leeds, Kingston, Northumbria and Manchester Met.
The top ten for art in ranking order is UCL, Newcastle, Oxford, Oxford Brookes, Leeds, Goldsmiths and Kingston (joint sixth), Nottingham Trent, Northampton and Aberystwyth.
For film production and photography, the top ten is Coventry, Middlesex, Glasgow, Bristol, Reading, UWE Bristol, University for the Creative Arts (in Farnham), Edinburgh Napier, York and Royal Holloway.
Loughborough is top for fashion and textiles followed by Kingston, Dundee, Manchester Met, Falmouth, University for the Creative Arts, Nottingham Trent, Portsmouth, Staffordshire and University of the Arts London.
Read the full guide here.
- The sun is out, and Best of the Web is here to offer some shade
- Jonathan Castro’s vibrant designs are a realisation of his research and exploration
- Friday Mixtape: top picks from ten years of Field Day
- A retrospective look at Latif Al Ani’s photographs of Iraq’s “golden age”
- Olimpia Zagnoli illustrates How to Eat Spaghetti Like a Lady
- Cost-effective, beautiful shit: an interview with the Deadbeat Club
- YouTube releases its first own-brand font, YouTube Sans, inspired by the play button
- Inside Susan Kare’s sketchbooks are the makings of Mac’s graphic interfaces
- The return of the hovering art director: we asked comic artist Nadine Redlich to peer inside agency life
- Photographer Raymond Rojas captures the “magic” in Disneyland Paris
- Stefan Sagmeister speaks to It's Nice That about The Beauty Project
- Seattle-based illustrator Kelly Bjork depicts languid ladies and neat interiors