The Guardian has published its university guide for 2018, accompanied by illustrations by Adam Avery, animated by Simon Roberts. The league table ranks UK universities overall and based on 54 subject areas, and can be filtered by a specific course, region and institution.
It is based on a Guardian score out of 100, a rating based on a combination of criteria – are also listed separately – including satisfaction with course, teaching and feedback, student to staff ratio, spend per student, average entry tariff, value added and whether students have a career after six months.
Dundee tops the list for design and crafts, followed by Loughborough, Goldsmiths and Kent (joint third), Leeds College of Art, Portsmouth, Leeds, Kingston, Northumbria and Manchester Met.
The top ten for art in ranking order is UCL, Newcastle, Oxford, Oxford Brookes, Leeds, Goldsmiths and Kingston (joint sixth), Nottingham Trent, Northampton and Aberystwyth.
For film production and photography, the top ten is Coventry, Middlesex, Glasgow, Bristol, Reading, UWE Bristol, University for the Creative Arts (in Farnham), Edinburgh Napier, York and Royal Holloway.
Loughborough is top for fashion and textiles followed by Kingston, Dundee, Manchester Met, Falmouth, University for the Creative Arts, Nottingham Trent, Portsmouth, Staffordshire and University of the Arts London.
Read the full guide here.
- Peter Judson messes with depth perception in new personal project, Infection
- Friday Mixtape: Robbie Simon's mix for a party at 9am, with no end in sight
- Jack Davison captures the “progress of time” for Noon magazine
- Kyung Me’s detailed series tells the tale of a cat struggling with identity
- Dressed in Black: the resolute book covers of the Spektrum series
- Dima Shriyeav’s textured poster designs incorporate hand-drawn and digital elements
- Fashion photographer Miles Aldridge shoots the cast of Game of Thrones for Time Magazine
- The Netherlands’ royal crest changes gender for national women’s football team kit by Nike
- Peek inside erotic magazine Odiseo’s very NSFW tenth issue
- Rick and Morty’s Exquisite Corpse trailer features 22 animators including Simon Landrein and Bendik Kaltenborn
- Design director, Gail Bichler, on The New York Times Magazine typography exhibition
- Mark Shaw captures the glamour of haute couture runways from the 1950s