The Partners has developed a new brand identity for METI. An acronym for “Messaging Extra Terrestrial Intelligence”, METI is an interstellar organisation whose purpose is to conduct scientific research into making contact with extra-terrestrial intelligence.
The Partners were tasked with establishing METI and raising awareness of the organisation’s work in the industry. Using the concept of messaging as their starting point, The Partners embarked on “an exploration into code systems, messaging and the origins of language” inspired by the 1974 Arecibo message – the world’s first communication with outer space.
Rewording the famed phrase: “Hello, world!” into “Hello, universe”, the new METI identity plays with language. The METI logo is based on a square grid and uses binary patterns. “The roman alphabet in binary becomes a metaphor for a universal language that appears unfamiliar but can be deciphered,” The Partners says. “The colour scheme and typography grounds the identity in the realm of research, and the square translation brackets hint at scientific annotations.”
- Hold Me Closer Tiny Dancer: the Stein sisters’ heart-warming film on child ballroom stars
- Three female art directors on collaboration, competition and confidence
- Pooneh Ghana’s ambient crowd and artist portraits from Pitchfork Music Festival make you wish you were there
- Julian Glander explains what a blockchain system is for MIT Technology Review
- “It’s a process of baby-making”: designing the horrific and hilarious multiverse of Rick and Morty
- Pouya Ahmadi uses typography to “bridge the gap between poetry, performance and space"
- The Sky Sports rebrand features bespoke type and refined logos across nine channels
- Rick and Morty’s Exquisite Corpse trailer features 22 animators including Simon Landrein and Bendik Kaltenborn
- Larry Hallegua captures sun worshippers on Pattaya Beach in Thailand
- Applicants to UK arts and design university courses declines by over 14,000 this year
- Michael Bierut designs new brand identity for the Poetry Foundation
- Design, Revolt, Rainbow: the pioneering work of graphic designer Willy Fleckhaus