Online video platform Topsafe returns to the ICA on Thursday with a selection of short films from some of London’s most exciting up and coming directors curated by Topsafe’s founder Freddie Fraser Forsyth as part of Playback Festival.
Frank Lebon will show his first scripted short Lead, the story of a dog who becomes an unwitting accessory to a murder. From director Calum MacDiarmid a Topsafe-produced prison drama starring MC Grindah based around real-life 1800 Gangstersz Instagram account, while director Hector Dockrill and DOP Deepa Keshvala will be presenting Boys From Hell, an Oldham-based documentary short about young men growing up in Britain’s poorest town. Dan Emmerson shows Gannin Hyem, which the half Geordie, half Basque director tells us is “an old Geordie-ism for ‘going home’. It’s a film about whippet racing, Newcastle and being a Geordie.” Music videos, documentary and fictional shorts from Joseph Bird, Duncan Loudon and Tallulah Hood will also be shown.
The screening will be followed by a panel discussion from Hector and Deepa discussing Boys From Hell, and Frank Lebon, who will talk about his breakout film.
- Photographer Peter Anderson on his experiments with a Widelux camera and their "wonderful distortions"
- "We are visual storytellers": studio Córdova Canillas talks us through the redesign of Fucking Young! magazine
- A sneak peak into Patrick Kyle’s new comic, Night Door
- Liam Cobb illustrates the collapse of the Heygate Estate in latest comic Conditioner
- “Imagination doesn’t compare to our real life design history”: Annie Atkins on the art of graphic design for film
- X-Rated Adult Movie Posters of the 60s and 70s celebrates gloriously crude B-movie artwork
- The New York Times Magazine’s new cover is actually a painting
- BBC’s new typeface BBC Reith is designed to improve legibility on screen
- “It needs to be normalised that women masturbate”: meet illustrator Jordyn McGeachin
- Life through the lens of enchanting photographer Vicki King
- Six months in the (enviable) life of photographer Ryan Lowry
- We get to know hilarious and thoughtful illustrator, Ruby Etc