Online video platform Topsafe returns to the ICA on Thursday with a selection of short films from some of London’s most exciting up and coming directors curated by Topsafe’s founder Freddie Fraser Forsyth as part of Playback Festival.
Frank Lebon will show his first scripted short Lead, the story of a dog who becomes an unwitting accessory to a murder. From director Calum MacDiarmid a Topsafe-produced prison drama starring MC Grindah based around real-life 1800 Gangstersz Instagram account, while director Hector Dockrill and DOP Deepa Keshvala will be presenting Boys From Hell, an Oldham-based documentary short about young men growing up in Britain’s poorest town. Dan Emmerson shows Gannin Hyem, which the half Geordie, half Basque director tells us is “an old Geordie-ism for ‘going home’. It’s a film about whippet racing, Newcastle and being a Geordie.” Music videos, documentary and fictional shorts from Joseph Bird, Duncan Loudon and Tallulah Hood will also be shown.
The screening will be followed by a panel discussion from Hector and Deepa discussing Boys From Hell, and Frank Lebon, who will talk about his breakout film.
- The It’s Nice That Podcast: Discussing the form and function of money
- Spanish studio Creanet pushes the form of the magazine with its latest project
- 71-year-old, formerly homeless Romanian collage artist Ion Bârlādeanu opens first UK show
- Glossy nostalgia from fashion photographer Charlotte Wales
- Simon Eeles’ photographic series is “a tender and wry postcard” from Australia
- Andrea Ucini’s conceptual illustrations play with perspective
- Petition launched against winner of Foam Paul Huf photography award for “stereotyping and sexism”
- Exclusive: rediscover graphics from Fiorucci’s archival 1984 Panini collaboration
- Kirsten Lepore’s creepy clay character is oddly soothing in this brilliant animation
- Me & EU project will send creative postcards across Europe on trigger date of Article 50
- Phaidon book gathers together 500 of the most iconic graphic designs of all time
- Atelier Brenda: the alter ego of three female designers you need to get to know