Online video platform Topsafe returns to the ICA on Thursday with a selection of short films from some of London’s most exciting up and coming directors curated by Topsafe’s founder Freddie Fraser Forsyth as part of Playback Festival.
Frank Lebon will show his first scripted short Lead, the story of a dog who becomes an unwitting accessory to a murder. From director Calum MacDiarmid a Topsafe-produced prison drama starring MC Grindah based around real-life 1800 Gangstersz Instagram account, while director Hector Dockrill and DOP Deepa Keshvala will be presenting Boys From Hell, an Oldham-based documentary short about young men growing up in Britain’s poorest town. Dan Emmerson shows Gannin Hyem, which the half Geordie, half Basque director tells us is “an old Geordie-ism for ‘going home’. It’s a film about whippet racing, Newcastle and being a Geordie.” Music videos, documentary and fictional shorts from Joseph Bird, Duncan Loudon and Tallulah Hood will also be shown.
The screening will be followed by a panel discussion from Hector and Deepa discussing Boys From Hell, and Frank Lebon, who will talk about his breakout film.
- You lucky devils, it's Best of the Web!
- Bogdan Ceausescu and Sebastian Pren experiment with grids and shapes in their latest zine
- Friday Mixtape: Illustrator and guitarist Sophy Hollington's *feels* mixtape
- Photographer Anastasia Korosteleva's waterborne portraits of Maldivian girls
- We caught up with photographer Adama Jalloh
- Seoul studio Everyday Practice talks about its collaborative approach to design
- Animator and director James Curran’s amusing 30-day Gifathon project in Tokyo
- Photographer Sophie Mayanne’s new personal project celebrates imperfection (NSFW)
- Animator Saiman Chow’s trippy idents for Adult Swim’s Rick and Morty
- The daily grind: Louis Quail’s photographs of fascinatingly mundane offices
- "Before I was a graphic designer I had nearly no idea what one was": meet Austin Redman
- Matthew Raw: the east London artist making clay great again