The most recent issue of Bauhaus, the yearly publication from the Bauhaus institution, discusses movement as a creative resource and outlet. Now on its eighth issue, the publication encompasses architectural, artistic and editorial elegance.
Across four chapters, Bauhaus takes the reader through “a look at the dynamism and pace of this movement,” the institution explain. “In doing so, it pursues the themes of the Bauhaus Dessau Foundation,” whose annual programme at the end of last year carried the same title.
Editors of the magazine, Einsateam, begin the publication by aptly exploring New Beginnings and Change. They reflect upon the Weimar Republic as a “prototype of a dynamic society,” based on two exhibitions Big Plans! Modern Figures, Visionaries and Inventors and Simultaneity of Modernism. This is followed by Formative Forces, which discuses movement and momentum as a creative resource. To display this, the chapter references Paul Klee on conquering gravity, choreographer Sasha Waltz and Bauhaus photographer Umbo. The third chapter, Transit and Transfer, focuses on Bauhaus internationally, shedding “light on themes such as exile, migration and cultural exchange”. The issue completes by featuring the biographies of “individual Bauhauslers,” who represented movement in the past, but also contemporary creatives who visited the Bauhaus Dessau during 2016.
The thoughtfully designed publication is the work of German studio, Herburg Weiland and is aesthete in its monochrome design. The publication links, “historical reflection with contemporary positions from internationally active designers, academics, artists, publicists, acrobats, choreographers, curators, photographers and others”.
- Andrew Onorato’s surreal short about a genie and his eggy housemates
- Parts of the Process — Gucci suits, puppies and blue-iced cupcakes: Behind the scenes of Us’ music video for Harry Styles
- Eike König’s students create a courageous calendar featuring a host of exciting illustrative talent
- How can we build “feel good” cities?
- Dani Pujalte captures Spain's immense cultural centres suffering from a lack of use
- Photographer Irina Rozovsky on how she captures considered moments across the globe
- Pantone Colour of the Year 2018 has been announced
- Renowned graphic designer Ivan Chermayeff has died aged 85
- Pentagram partner Natasha Jen shares her most inspirational books
- Marina Lewandowska’s graduation project shows graphic design flair and function
- Why dyslexia makes you a great designer
- Working Not Working charts the top 50 companies creatives want to work for