Elias Hanzer is an Austrian graphic designer with an appetite for type. Letterforms of all shapes and serifs are an endless graphic delight on his tumblr, even more impressive when you learn that many typefaces are designed by Elias himself.
Currently studying visual communication at the University of the Arts in Berlin, Elias is spending his time “more and more focusing on type design,” he explains. The results are grotesque, in the design sense of course, recently creating a new typeface, Eh Normal. The typeface is available in three weights, light, regular and bold, and includes three different stylesheets, “Space, Jungle and City,” to showcase its differentiating characteristics.
Further typeface designs from Elias include Moment a “graffiti-inspired scribble typeface,” the designer tells It’s Nice That. To resonate with his inspiration of graffiti “each character comes with an alternate variation to simulate writing on a wall”. Working with designer Lucas Liccini, the font graced a recent cover of Protocol Magazin.
In terms of graphic design output Elias’ most recent work, a series of posters for lectures at his university, display his ability to arrange and manipulate type. Each of the posters were screen printed “since we wanted to print the poster for the following talk over the previous one, creating an effect of layers," says Elias. The results pack a printed punch with primary colours thickly layered on top of one another.
With an upcoming internship at abcDinamo a Berlin based type foundry, we look forward to seeing Elias’ growing portfolio and future in font.
- The Ulm Model: a school and its pursuit of a critical design practice
- New One in New York: Simón Sepúlveda's six month design diary
- Eloïse Rossetti’s narrative and research-driven graphic design
- Illustrator Cécile Dormeau captures the humorous nuances of adult life
- Photographer Joshua Gordon's “loose diary” of work (NSFW)
- Four projects from Kickstarter's Make100 initiative which caught our eye
- Wolff Olins and zigbee launch the “first open-source brand for the Internet of Things”
- Graphic Design Festival Paris reveals 19 sport-inspired posters by Hort, Julia, Spassky Fischer and more
- FKA twigs teams up with 17 year old photographer David Uzochukwu for new Nike campaign
- Too Fast To Think: why switching off unlocks creativity
- Brian Finke captures the glitz and glamour of the Ms. Senior America beauty pageant