Whenever Rafaël Rozendaal produces a new piece of work, digital communications channels the world over light up with chatter about what it is, what it means, how freaking awesome he is and how he’s the most important artist of his generation. If you’re not familiar with Rafaël’s work yet then take the time to acquaint yourself here, here and here. He’s arguably one of our favourite artists and we’ve been pretty enamoured of his boundary-pushing work from the get-go.
So believe us when we say we’re breathless with excitement at the prospect of seeing Rafaël’s new work up-close and personal, right round the corner from where we’re sat each day. The Composing Rooms in Bethnal Green will be showcasing the artist’s Popular Screen Sizes, an exploration of contemporary lifestyles “and the extent to which these involve our interface with screens.”
One work you’ll be able to interact with is openthiswindow.com, a variably sized digital window that offers viewers a modicum of escapism from wherever they, and their computer, might be. The interactive site is equipped with a single usable feature, an opening window, allowing you to decide whether to let babbling brook and twittering bird sounds loose on your desktop or just keep the damned thing closed so you can stare out of it longingly. As a reflection of how we live our lives it’s pretty spot on (how many times a day do you stare wistfully from your desk at the unattainable sunshine outside?) and we’re suckers for anything as simple and witty as this.
Take our word for it, Mr Rozendaal is the artistic voice of our generation, and you’ll definitely feel better for adding some of his work to your day.
- Andrew Onorato’s surreal short about a genie and his eggy housemates
- Parts of the Process — Gucci suits, puppies and blue-iced cupcakes: Behind the scenes of Us’ music video for Harry Styles
- Eike König’s students create a courageous calendar featuring a host of exciting illustrative talent
- How can we build “feel good” cities?
- Dani Pujalte captures Spain's immense cultural centres suffering from a lack of use
- Photographer Irina Rozovsky on how she captures considered moments across the globe
- Pantone Colour of the Year 2018 has been announced
- Renowned graphic designer Ivan Chermayeff has died aged 85
- Pentagram partner Natasha Jen shares her most inspirational books
- Marina Lewandowska’s graduation project shows graphic design flair and function
- Why dyslexia makes you a great designer
- Working Not Working charts the top 50 companies creatives want to work for