MA Communication Design student Yunus Ak’s current work is driven “by my own personal memory” he tells It’s Nice That. “It’s structured consciously or unconsciously from everywhere I travel and see, everything I read and taste.”
As a result the designer’s projects contain a plethora of interests, anecdotes and design styles. However typography is a constant element, which attracts his attention most. Currently working on his final thesis on the “format of the book,” Yunuk’s project 16×12 plays with composition and layouts outside of the typical grids of a graphic design portfolio.
The project is an amalgamation of what looks like calling cards with various sayings and quotes related to the design industry such as, “unpaid internship,” “how to think like a great graphic designer,” or a suggestion of a never ending e-mail thread in, “re: re: re: re:”.
As Yunus completes his masters at ESAD Matasinhos, Portugal, we look forward to seeing the results of exploring and manipulating the form of a book in full.
- Twin brothers V/A/B on their “difficultly simple” approach to design
- The people’s choice, it’s Best of the Web!
- Larry Hallegua captures sun worshippers on Pattaya Beach in Thailand
- Lukas Korshan photographs Dulwich Hamlet FC, where you can “drink beer, stand up, and let loose"
- “The field is stretching itself bigger and bigger” - Jurgen Bey on design education and infinite possibility
- Peter Judson messes with depth perception in new personal project, Infection
- Fashion photographer Miles Aldridge shoots the cast of Game of Thrones for Time Magazine
- The Netherlands’ royal crest changes gender for national women’s football team kit by Nike
- Peek inside erotic magazine Odiseo’s very NSFW tenth issue
- Rick and Morty’s Exquisite Corpse trailer features 22 animators including Simon Landrein and Bendik Kaltenborn
- Design director, Gail Bichler, on The New York Times Magazine typography exhibition
- Mark Shaw captures the glamour of haute couture runways from the 1950s