Creatives and mood boards go together like Daphne and Celeste, and try as Tumblr and Pinterest might, up until now nothing has come anywhere close to challenging the satisfaction that comes from wielding a handful of drawing pins and some print-outs over an unassuming noticeboard. Curator might be in with a shot though. The brainchild of architect and app developer Daniel Nordh, Curator is an iPad app which “allows users to collect, organise and present mood boards mixing websites, images and text using a simple, intuitive tap-and-drag interface.” And for once, it really looks like it might do the trick.
Late last year when Curator had reached the top ten in the productivity category of the Appstore in 76 countries, Daniel decided it was time to get an outside perspective in “to improve the user experience and present a more considered and sophisticated appearance across the app, website and company branding.” And so he brought in design agency A Practice For Everyday Life.
They’ve done a beautiful job across the board, working meticulously through the functionality of the app and choosing clean but characterful typeface GT Walsheim with its geometric references as their point of departure for the identity. They explain: “The app icon and Curator & Co logo was derived from the boards within Curator, and appears in several iterations depending on context, evolving into a pattern that appears on the welcome screen and company business cards.” It’s excellent work, as ever, and we couldn’t be more excited about the prospect of a mood board app that actually works.
- Mikey Please takes us behind the scenes, and the backlash, of the Bake Off trailer
- From New York to Springfield, it's Best of the Web
- Taschen releases two volumes of National Geographic’s best photographs from the past 125 years
- Simon Landrein takes Dan Croll down the rabbit hole in his animated video for Tokyo
- Thomas Duffield on photographing his dad’s hidden heroin addiction
- Parker Day's lurid colours and grotesque characters elevate identity and fantasy (NSFW)
- Hate the iPhone X notch? There’s an app for that
- Lisa Simpson’s bookshelf: from the curator of Instagram’s Simpsons Library
- Biplab Hazra’s photo of elephants being attacked by mob wins Sanctuary prize
- Michael Bierut: 13 ways of looking at a typeface
- Uncle Ginger uses hypnotic shapes to animate the facts and feelings of bipolar disorder
- Michel Gondry’s John Lewis Christmas advert – Moz the Monster – is unveiled