Illustrator Eleonora Marton has released her first publication: a distinctive, active and admirable take on the classic ABC book. DIY ABC depicts Eleonora’s joyful, personable style, but allows it to be appropriated by the child. Increasing engagement and helping them learn.
“The idea came from a memory of the Italian ABC posters that were on the wall of the classroom during my first year of primary school” Eleonora explains, “I remember I didn’t like the drawing that related to my initial, it was erba (Italian for grass) and I wished it was something more girly and cute. From this starting point I began thinking it would be nice for a child to have a more personal ABC book.” The result is a book full to the brim of idea spurring illustrations. In addition, Eleonora’s pastel and bold colour combinations are eye-widening for both adults and children.
The DIY aspect of the book is comes from the fact that Eleonora has only provided a starting point for children, creating an illustrative version of interactive learning. “DIY ABC isn’t a fully functional ABC until every page is completed” she explains, “I tried to come up with activities that could give the children some creative freedom to make their own version of each missing thing, there isn’t a right or wrong way to do it. In this way, each completed DIY ABC book will look different from any other.”
- Rosie Matheson’s series, Boys, explores the nuanced nature of modern masculinity
- Heavyweight Foundry on its pragmatic yet inventive approach to typography
- Illustrator Tim Lahan’s latest zine is an “ode to being self-destructive”
- Photographer Nick Ballon's series is a portrait of Bolivia’s second largest city and its people
- Photographer Olivier Degorce's new book lets you snoop in strangers' fridges
- Clean it, beach: Reto Schmid's new fashion series shines light on the plastic waste problem
- Custom Typefaces: are they worth the hype?
- Designer Marc Armand on graphically interpreting the French football team’s kit ahead of the World Cup
- Bonjour Garçon combines photography and graphic design to make "strong and delicate" work
- Iconic film poster designer and illustrator Bill Gold has died aged 97
- "Football's Bayeux Tapestry": behind the scenes of the embroidered BBC World Cup trailer animation
- Matt Groening reveals characters from new animated series Disenchantment (well, partially…)