Here in London, the end of the London Collections: Men means the end of revelling in sartorial male brilliance right? Wrong! Guinness has created a superb short film which features the Sapeurs, a group of people from the Republic of the Congo who embrace stylistic individualism in a truly inspiring way. It’s part of the Guinness Made Of More campaign, which celebrates those who live their lives with real integrity and character.
What makes this more than just an interesting fashion story is that there is a philosophical underpinning to the Sapeurs’ lifestyle along with the charm and flair.
The men who embrace La Sape are part of a heritage that stretches back to their ancestors and that will reach forward to future generations. In their commitment to non-violence and freedom of expression, they embody a way of looking at life from which we could all learn something. This outlook though is brought to life through a philosophy of joie de vivre which shines through in every frame of the film. It’s well worth a few minutes of your time so stop what you’re doing and watch it now!
This article was produced in collaboration with Guinness. Drink responsibly. Visit www.drinkaware.co.uk for the facts. The GUINNESS word and associated logos are trademarks © GUINNESS & Co. 2014.
- Food for thought on the day the Global Climate Strike begins
- “I always thought Photoshop was a glorified MS paint”: James Lacey on his journey into design
- “If I am flagging on a shoot, she directs me”: Matthew Stone on working with FKA Twigs
- French illustrator Nicolas Ridou makes “the atmosphere the story” in his hypnotic works
- A routine, good music and Charlie Bones: Sean Bate on his graphic design inspirations
- In The Boys, Rick Schatzberg photographs his group in their 66th year of friendship
- “All you see is lazy photography everywhere”: Martin Parr discusses his career, Brexit and obsession
- The work of Xiangyu Liu is weird and fantastically unpredictable (some NSFW)
- Caterina Bianchini Studio designs a dog-themed identity for a conveyer belt cheese restaurant
- Ikea invites people to “try on” Virgil Abloh furniture collection at LFW
- Hans Findling on his experimental and multidisciplinary approach to design
- Introducing the It’s Nice That Graduates of 2019!