After a hugely successful Nicer Tuesdays series last year, we are very excited to announce that for 2017 the event will be doubling in size and moving to Oval Space. We have a top-class line-up of speakers to kick off the year too, with OK-RM, Jack Sachs, Linda Brownlee and Seetal Solanki joining us on 31 January. The event is now sold out – sign up to the newsletter to be the first to know about future events.
Situated in an atmospheric converted industrial space in east London’s Bethnal Green, Oval Space has established itself as a hub for the arts in recent years, and will now host all Nicer Tuesdays 2017 events. Ticket-holders will be able to eat, drink and chat in the venue before and after the talks, in the summer enjoying the balcony space and its views of London. Plus, since every Nicer Tuesdays 2016 event sold out within a few hours, we’re really happy to be welcoming double the audience this year.
As co-founder of renowned British design studio OK-RM, Rory McGrath has worked with world-leading institutions, brands and publications alike to develop memorable and cutting edge graphic identities. These include exhibitions for The Met’s Manus x Machina, the identity for Moscow’s Strelka Institute, and Jack Self’s Real Review. Rory will be chatting about his recent work for the Design Museum’s opening show, Fear and Love.
With a flair for beautifully natural and atmospheric portraiture and landscapes, it’s no wonder Irish photographer Linda Brownlee’s list of clientele includes The Guardian, Vogue, Another Magazine, Nowness and It’s Nice That, no less. Linda will be sharing some insights to her process for commissioned and personal work, including her recent book I Zii.
Illustrator and animator Jack Sachs had one helluva 2016, hence making him one of our Ones to Watch 2017. From his illustrations for Bloomberg Business Week and Lucky Peach, to his animated characters for MTV and Maynards Bassetts, plus his recent Tate Britain “invasion” SHHH!, Jack’s bizarre, plasticine-like CG characters have become instantly recognisable. He’ll be telling us more about his favourites, and how he creates them.
As founder and material conservationist at Ma-tt-er, Seetal Solanki never fails to inspire. The material research consultancy she started in 2015 works on design projects of all kinds, bringing expertise in materials – from their aesthetics and versatility to their provenance and sustainability. She’s worked with the British Council as part of The Maker Library Network, plus retailers and other design studios, aiming to “bridge the gap between industries”.
Event partner: Adobe
Designer. Photographer. Filmmaker. Dreamer. No matter who you are, there’s something for you in the latest release of Creative Cloud. Adobe is proud to sponsor Nicer Tuesdays 2017 and ready to show you what’s new.
Supported by Park
As one of London’s most respected printers, Park is known for its care, attention to detail and high quality, which is why Printed Pages is among the titles it produces.
Supported by Uniqlo
The idea at the heart of all of Uniqlo’s clothing is LifeWear – clothes that make your life better. Style doesn’t have to be superficial; it can keep you warmer, cooler, drier. Uniqlo creates LifeWear by evolving the ordinary, producing innovations big and small that benefit you every day.
Drinks sponsor: Hop House 13
Thanks to Hop House 13 for providing the drinks!
- Luis Alberto Rodriguez photographs use contorted and twisted limbs to express emotion
- Season Zine's Felicia Pennant on how the publication puts female football fans first
- Record label Melody as Truth is carving out a woozy, spacey audio-visual niche
- “Create a flag that represents your own Island” – The amazing entries from the #MyIslandFlag Insta brief
- We ask Nadine Redlich, Wieden+Kennedy and more to visualise their highlights of the World Cup
- Friday Mixtape: Caterina Bianchini's mix to listen to "In your pants! On the bus! Walking! Running!"
- Photographer Jack Johnstone's dreamy images are so soft they're almost otherworldly
- “Unporn” is the photo stock collection for those suggestive, naughty moments
- KangHee Kim's images are as satisfying to create as they are to look at
- Penguin unveils striking series of redesigned Jack Kerouac books
- Veteran designer Sir Kenneth Grange has reconfigured the pint glass
- Sophy Hollington’s striking tarot deck combines mysticism with a glam-punk contemporary twist