Animation director and graphic artist Nicolas Ménard is known for his dynamic compositions and often darkly humoured narratives, brought together in vibrant colours. His animation Wednesday With Goddard, made with his wife Manshen Lo, is about one man’s search for God and brings all these elements together in brilliant harmony. At Nicer Tuesdays he told us incredible details about the film and its making.
“It all started from the core of the structure. I wanted to make a film that starts like a children’s book in a series of beats, but that ends dramatically and badly, like a big anticlimax that would almost leave the audience disappointed, a little bit like false expectations, or the anticlimax that comes with completing an animated short film” he jokes. Watch the full film above, and hear more from Nicolas.
- Say what you see, it’s Best of the Web!
- The art of plane watching captured by Mindaugas Kavaliauskas
- Friday Mixtape: escape from the world with Xenoula's ethereal mix
- Towers of Thanks: Res photographs his mother's life working for Donald Trump
- A world of pain: Sixteen Journal's latest issue
- R Kikuo Johnson on the importance of narrative in his illustrations
- Parker Day's lurid colours and grotesque characters elevate identity and fantasy (NSFW)
- Paper reveals Break the Internet take two, with Nicki Minaj shot by Ellen von Unwerth
- Bea de Giacomo photographs the wonders of pregnancy
- Matthieu Lavanchy recreates food emojis "irl" for The Gourmand's tenth issue
- Introducing Broccoli, the publication “normalising cannabis use, especially for women”
- One Step Ahead: we meet Paula Scher, the trailblazing Pentagram Partner