Director Raine Allen-Miller (one of It’s Nice That’s 2017 Ones to Watch), talked the audience through her career from advertising to directing, wanting her films to go beyond just a minute.
Now represented by production company Somesuch, Raine talked us through her most recent music video release for Tricky by Denai Moore. The lyrics of the track explored anxiety, and for the director Tricky’s video was an opportunity to explore the multi-faceted forms of anxiety, in particular how it can be creative.
With a relatively open brief, Denai’s only instruction for Raine was to incorporate flowers showing growth. A fan of stop-motion animation since GSCE art classes, short clips of flowers growing are cut in between filmed shots – “it took forever to cut out every frame,” she explains.
The other main component to the film is “Denai being at the spine of the film, as their her words”. Inspired by the opening shot of A Clockwork Orange, a drawn out tracking shot of Denai holds the viewer’s gaze throughout. This incorporated with thoughtful props and settings makes for a powerful performance.
- In the Studio With: Balancing innovation and usability, with digital creative studio Future Corp
- Dis.art turns "learning into a Netflix-like experience"
- James Aspey's grid inspired typeface New Europa features a user-generated specimen
- Photographer Stratos Kalafatis on life inside the 1200-year old Mount Athos
- Sean van den Steenhoven’s projects utilise voice as a design tool to make statements
- Graphic designer Angharad Hengyu Owen on textual shapes and wandering poems
- Meet graphic designer Jonathan Isaacson and his hybrid portfolio
- “I love the imperfections, the grains and the stains": Ryan Ormsby on his creative approach
- Artist claims Kendrick Lamar video for Black Panther song used her work without permission
- Property developer fined $6.7 million for “whitewashing” New York graffiti haven, 5Pointz
- Fill your AR world with collage, courtesy of app Dumb Fun
- Bureau Bertrand Clément’s portfolio represents the importance of playful graphic design