Director Raine Allen-Miller (one of It’s Nice That’s 2017 Ones to Watch), talked the audience through her career from advertising to directing, wanting her films to go beyond just a minute.
Now represented by production company Somesuch, Raine talked us through her most recent music video release for Tricky by Denai Moore. The lyrics of the track explored anxiety, and for the director Tricky’s video was an opportunity to explore the multi-faceted forms of anxiety, in particular how it can be creative.
With a relatively open brief, Denai’s only instruction for Raine was to incorporate flowers showing growth. A fan of stop-motion animation since GSCE art classes, short clips of flowers growing are cut in between filmed shots – “it took forever to cut out every frame,” she explains.
The other main component to the film is “Denai being at the spine of the film, as their her words”. Inspired by the opening shot of A Clockwork Orange, a drawn out tracking shot of Denai holds the viewer’s gaze throughout. This incorporated with thoughtful props and settings makes for a powerful performance.
- A real bobby-dazzler, it’s Best of the Web!
- Max Guther is back with more hyper real illustrations visualising social trends
- The Igor has landed: Igor Bastidas on our animated cover for Printed Pages AW17
- Balmer Hählen takes a traditional Swiss design approach to its projects
- Friday Mixtape: a very rare mixtape from the one and only John Carpenter
- Josh McKenna talks through his work on Pride for Google and Instagram
- Peter Funch has photographed the same people on the same street for nine years
- DBLG and Animade’s cheeky stop-motion animation uses human skin and 3D stamps
- “It needed to be functional, a workhorse”: Arket’s in-house team on its brand identity
- Get to know the fluid work of graphic designer, Steffen Hotel
- Fukt magazine presents the erotic drawings of David Shrigley, Tracy Emin and many more
- Poster Girls, an exhibition of 150 female graphic designers opens at London Transport Museum