Animator I Saw John First looked to an eclectic bank of references for his music video for Mr Jukes. “I’m into obscurity, Japan, imaginary worlds, heads with feet, ghost stories and spirits,” he said, showing sketches, development animatics and excerpts from the final animation. Colourful, fantastical and hypnotic, the visuals for the track Angels/Your Love feat. BJ The Chicago Kid are also synced with the beat, meaning every detail of the frame-by-frame animation emulates the song.
“I wanted it to be joyous but genuine,” he says. As Mr Jukes’ output is worlds away from the musician Jack Steadman’s other work as frontman of Bombay Bicycle Club, this project became about defining the difference aesthetically. “The heart of the project was to get away from everything he was already connected to. It became an almost stylistic quest. I can promise you bizarre scenarios, creatures and over-saturated colours.”
Event Partner: Dropbox
Dropbox Paper is a collaborative workspace that eliminates distractions that get in the way of creativity. Because you can work with all types of content – from video, to sound to code – in Paper, you and your collaborators can easily edit and discuss all aspects of your project in one centralised place.
Event Partner: Adobe Stock
Keep your work fresh with Adobe Stock. No matter what project you’re working on, you can always find the perfect asset in the library of over 90 million high-quality images, graphics, videos, templates, and 3D assets plus our Premium and Editorial. Join them at Nicer Tuesdays to see what amazing things you can create with Adobe Stock. Click here to try Adobe Stock free for one month.
Supported by: Park Communications
As one of London’s most respected printers, Park Communications is known for its care, attention to detail and high quality, which is why we choose Park for Printed Pages.
Supported by: The Five Points Brewing Company
The Five Points Brewing Company is an independent brewery based in Hackney, London, brewing with a commitment to provenance, quality, consistency and the community since 2013.
- Filmmaker Samona Olanipekun explores innocence and loss in his love letter to the immigrant experience, Kindred
- Beyond Heaven is a visual history of early Chicago house music
- Dinner For Few is an allegorical animation depicting our society that benefits a select few
- Grace Ahlbom’s publication Dreaming is Heavy Metal investigates new printing methods
- Anna Gille’s evocative illustrations dissolve the barrier between the natural and the artificial
- Photographer Thurstan Redding’s project Castle Village portrays an optimistic and joyful view of old age
- Uber gets another new logo, gives you something to make small talk about this weekend
- You know that great feeling of popping a spot? You'll get that from Sophie Koko Gate's new animation
- Type designer Kia Tasbihgou on how “knowing cool designers and nice fonts isn’t enough”
- Watch the trailer for the Don't Hug Me I'm Scared, the television show
- V&A curator Marie Foulston wants us to look at video games through the lens of design
- Swedish design studio Amanda & Erik avoid the tropes of minimalist, Scandinavian design in their practice