Gem Fletcher, director of photography for Riposte, is also an established art director in her own right. At Nicer Tuesdays, she shared some of her dynamic personal work and insights into the magazine’s much-lauded recent cover shoot by featuring a topless Ericka Hart.
Gem took us through her experiences with commissioning photography and working with the Riposte team, including the sourcing of a “flawless” photographer for the shoot with Ericka, Shaniqwa Jarvis. Her talk was a true vision into her “both brilliant and stressful” day-to-day, and what the team are aiming for with its pioneering output. “When the magazine started it was about cool and interesting women doing cool and interesting things. In this weirdest of weird times, that doesn’t feel like enough now,” she explains. “Making an indie magazine is a true labour of love.” Watch the full film above to hear more from Gem.
- David Lane talks us through his art direction for Robyn's newly released record
- Friday Mixtape: Vanessa Carlton and Godflesh combine thanks to The Beautiful Meme
- Jenny Jiao Hsia's game designs are as delightfully weird as they are weirdly delightful
- Luke Boland communicates industrialisation through his expansive photographs
- Okuyama Taiki became interested in design while running a free bookshop in Tokyo
- Congo Tales offers an alternative to fear-based environmental messaging
- This is an article about Wieden+Kennedy’s clever ad campaign - No B.S
- Combining thoughtful design and big business: an interview with Made Thought
- Iceland’s Christmas advert banned from broadcast for being too political
- The Saul Bass Archive looks back on the trailblazer’s rare poster design
- Typeface Pickle-Standard both obeys and rejects the grid at the same time
- Cornelius de Bill Baboul's latest project is "like Baudelaire in the age of McDonalds"