Gem Fletcher, director of photography for Riposte, is also an established art director in her own right. At Nicer Tuesdays, she shared some of her dynamic personal work and insights into the magazine’s much-lauded recent cover shoot by featuring a topless Ericka Hart.
Gem took us through her experiences with commissioning photography and working with the Riposte team, including the sourcing of a “flawless” photographer for the shoot with Ericka, Shaniqwa Jarvis. Her talk was a true vision into her “both brilliant and stressful” day-to-day, and what the team are aiming for with its pioneering output. “When the magazine started it was about cool and interesting women doing cool and interesting things. In this weirdest of weird times, that doesn’t feel like enough now,” she explains. “Making an indie magazine is a true labour of love.” Watch the full film above to hear more from Gem.
- Paul Sahre chats to us about his new book Two Dimensional Man: A Graphic Memoir
- How can we connect young, diverse talent with the agencies who crave it?
- Ricky Leung’s illustrations capture the quiet moments of everyday life
- Photographer Chris Maggio palpably documents America’s current “emotional climate"
- Seoul-based Shrimp Chung’s dynamic designs are bright and full of impact
- Choreographer and director Holly Blakey on making work for everyone
- Peter Funch has photographed the same people on the same street for nine years
- North reveals full Science Museum rebrand, and reacts to online criticism
- GraphicDesign& outline three projects that successfully support and impact mental wellbeing
- Dove apologises and removes advert showing a black woman becoming a white woman
- Apple announces launch of gender neutral emojis
- “It needed to be functional, a workhorse”: Arket’s in-house team on its brand identity