Gem Fletcher, director of photography for Riposte, is also an established art director in her own right. At Nicer Tuesdays, she shared some of her dynamic personal work and insights into the magazine’s much-lauded recent cover shoot by featuring a topless Ericka Hart.
Gem took us through her experiences with commissioning photography and working with the Riposte team, including the sourcing of a “flawless” photographer for the shoot with Ericka, Shaniqwa Jarvis. Her talk was a true vision into her “both brilliant and stressful” day-to-day, and what the team are aiming for with its pioneering output. “When the magazine started it was about cool and interesting women doing cool and interesting things. In this weirdest of weird times, that doesn’t feel like enough now,” she explains. “Making an indie magazine is a true labour of love.” Watch the full film above to hear more from Gem.
- Will Anderson on his Bafta-nominated animation, Have Heart
- Bonjour Garçon combines photography and graphic design to make "strong and delicate" work
- Friday Mixtape: Thomas Pratt curates a mix for a night out in the Bahamas
- The spontaneous, saturated and energetic portfolio of photographer Anton Gottlob
- Alexander Mourant's photographs trace a road-trip he took down the length of Africa
- Video artist Natalia Stuyk on crossing from the digital to the physical world
- Google Creative Lab's animated series tells the story of iPhone users who tried the Pixel 2
- Photographer Michael Northrup’s striking new book is a visual timeline of a former relationship
- The Scouts rebrand aims to reflect a “more relevant image of Scouting”
- "Something bold, something pure" – the 50-year long legacy of 2001: A Space Odyssey
- Yishu Wang's wonderfully disorientating photography
- Airbnb launches new bespoke font Cereal, designed with Dalton Maag for online and offline fluidity