Written and created exclusively by women of colour, Gal-dem is a vital online platform, collective, and now printed magazine for underrepresented members of the industry. Speaking at Nicer Tuesdays, editor Charlie Brinkhurst-Cuff and graphic designer Chani Wisdom described the purpose of the group and took us through its first issue.
“Our aim is to create a more inclusive and diverse media industry in the UK,” Charlie says. “At the moment, 94% of journalists are white and 55% are men. So we want to give a voice to some of the most marginalised people in society.”
The 300-page inaugural publication focuses on the theme of Home, and designer Chani describes how the team “wanted to encourage it as a slow-read… to have a narrative and be read from front to back”. An expectedly diverse and exciting roster of contributors brought the pages to life, covering topics such as homelessness, Grenfell and “feeling at home in the UK”.
- Unseen Amsterdam's artistic director on how its richest line-up yet inspires and informs
- Jackson Green’s design work explores the chasm that exists between statement and intent
- Why Materials Matter: Seetal Solanki's accessible proposal for the future of materials, designed by Our Place
- Friday Mixtape: Animator Steve Smith takes us from Kate Bush to Oneohtrix Point Never
- Tom Galle’s internet-based practice captures your attention in a few seconds, scrolling through your feed
- “Fear and desire for connection and the blocks to it”: artist Martine Syms on her exhibition Grand Calme
- “Go, go, go”: how DIA messed with design theory, only to improve it
- Watch the trailer for the Don't Hug Me I'm Scared, the television show
- Uber gets another new logo, gives you something to make small talk about this weekend
- Swedish design studio Amanda & Erik avoid the tropes of minimalist, Scandinavian design in their practice
- You know that great feeling of popping a spot? You'll get that from Sophie Koko Gate's new animation
- Studio Hyte's identity for iiii Magazine examines the characteristics of type, code and interaction on the web