“What is reality?” Ponders artist Robert Rushkin at the start of a new film created by Builders Club that premiered at the Resonate Festival in Belgrade this weekend. The eight minute film follows the artist as he prepares a new work on the south coast of England. Rushkin, who has exhibited at the Hayward Gallery in London and at MoMA in New York muses upon his work and meaning throughout the short. Little is known about the artist, but Builders Club founders felt compelled to make the film last year after a chance encounter with Rushkin.
Like Zoe Leonard and Cheryl Dunye in 1996, Builders Club has unearthed an artist who questions what is possible with each project. “We met Robert a year ago. It was during a hike deep in the woods, where he did some research for his new installation," says Jonas Hegi and Julien Simshauser, directors at Builders Club. “After introducing each other, we were really surprised that so little is known about him. Gladly, he gave us access to his archives. It became obvious to us to make a film about him.”
- Harley Weir and Jamie Reid explore the functions of the female body for Baron
- Haw-lin Services and Tim Schmitt on their sci-fi identity for Berlin Biennale
- Winning proposals for regeneration of Old Street Roundabout announced
- Designer Paw Poulsen turns celebrities such as Bill Gates and Elton John into typefaces
- Friday Mixtape: a genre-spanning mix from creative agency Mogollon
- Non-Verbal Club's typography-heavy, sleek identity for Teatro Nacional de São Carlos
- Netflix unveils Netflix Sans, a new custom typeface developed with Dalton Maag
- Lacoste swaps famous crocodile logo for ten endangered species
- A chat with the Orwellian mastermind in charge of the UK town known as Scarfolk
- Will Anderson’s Bafta-nominated animation Have Heart follows a gif stuck in an infinite loop
- Original sets and puppets from Wes Anderson’s Isle of Dogs to be exhibited in London
- Dive into Mikey Joyce's portfolio with its “healthy balance of calculated and convoluted silliness"