“What is reality?” Ponders artist Robert Rushkin at the start of a new film created by Builders Club that premiered at the Resonate Festival in Belgrade this weekend. The eight minute film follows the artist as he prepares a new work on the south coast of England. Rushkin, who has exhibited at the Hayward Gallery in London and at MoMA in New York muses upon his work and meaning throughout the short. Little is known about the artist, but Builders Club founders felt compelled to make the film last year after a chance encounter with Rushkin.
Like Zoe Leonard and Cheryl Dunye in 1996, Builders Club has unearthed an artist who questions what is possible with each project. “We met Robert a year ago. It was during a hike deep in the woods, where he did some research for his new installation," says Jonas Hegi and Julien Simshauser, directors at Builders Club. “After introducing each other, we were really surprised that so little is known about him. Gladly, he gave us access to his archives. It became obvious to us to make a film about him.”
- A real bobby-dazzler, it’s Best of the Web!
- Max Guther is back with more hyper real illustrations visualising social trends
- The Igor has landed: Igor Bastidas on our animated cover for Printed Pages AW17
- Balmer Hählen takes a traditional Swiss design approach to its projects
- Friday Mixtape: a very rare mixtape from the one and only John Carpenter
- Josh McKenna talks through his work on Pride for Google and Instagram
- Peter Funch has photographed the same people on the same street for nine years
- DBLG and Animade’s cheeky stop-motion animation uses human skin and 3D stamps
- “It needed to be functional, a workhorse”: Arket’s in-house team on its brand identity
- Get to know the fluid work of graphic designer, Steffen Hotel
- Fukt magazine presents the erotic drawings of David Shrigley, Tracy Emin and many more
- Poster Girls, an exhibition of 150 female graphic designers opens at London Transport Museum