New Zealand-born, London-based director Robert Wallace, AKA Parallel Teeth, has directed the animated music video for Auckland musician Merk’s song I’m Easy, premiered here on It’s Nice That. Starring an animated 2D cut-out version of Merk with fried-egg eyes, surrounded by bizarre characters illustrated by Robert and Caitlin McCarthy, the video has a lo-fi and nostalgic feel ideal for the track.
“Merk was open to the direction as long as it was super colourful and fun, but underneath all that happy stuff a little bit melancholic,” explains Robert. “The two main inspirations were Merk’s paper cut-out album cover and photos of him in his iconic egg glasses. Personally I wanted it to be bold, loose and playful.”
The singer was shot in his studio in New Zealand, and the footage was then cut out and coloured frame by frame, to give it a “rough and energetic” look. The illustrated clan of creatures were added adhoc to each frame in Photoshop, without a strict storyboard, in order “to capture the carefree naivety of early ideas before they were overthought,” says Robert, and allow the video’s narrative to evolve organically.
- Paul Sahre chats to us about his new book Two Dimensional Man: A Graphic Memoir
- How can we connect young, diverse talent with the agencies who crave it?
- Ricky Leung’s illustrations capture the quiet moments of everyday life
- Photographer Chris Maggio palpably documents America’s current “emotional climate"
- Seoul-based Shrimp Chung’s dynamic designs are bright and full of impact
- Choreographer and director Holly Blakey on making work for everyone
- Peter Funch has photographed the same people on the same street for nine years
- North reveals full Science Museum rebrand, and reacts to online criticism
- GraphicDesign& outline three projects that successfully support and impact mental wellbeing
- Dove apologises and removes advert showing a black woman becoming a white woman
- Apple announces launch of gender neutral emojis
- “It needed to be functional, a workhorse”: Arket’s in-house team on its brand identity