Spanish artist Yolanda Domingues is not afraid to take on serious social issues with her work, particularly through her “livings” which confront people in the street. You may remember we featured her Poses project a couple of years ago in which she had women recreate the ludicrous poses favoured by fashion magazines in everyday situations.
Her latest piece Fashion Victims took place last week in Madrid’s Gran Via shopping street. It was a response to the horrific accident in Bangladesh where more than 1,000 textile workers, including many women and children, were killed when their workshops collapsed last month.
Yolanda had women placed under rubble and various fashion accessories in what she described as “an appeal for responsible production and consumption, both for people and the planet.”
“Brands, designers, bloggers, media,” she said, “the fashion world cannot dodge the facts and look the other way. We are all responsible for this reality.”
Hard-hitting and thought-provoking, this is Yolanda at her very best and once again the behaviour of the people who encounter her work adds an interesting dimension.
- Nicolas Garner explores the clash of digital and organic in his hyperreal imagery
- Dennis Church’s 12-year project sees him capture the visual noise of America’s streets
- Hudson Christie’s illustration trickery uses depth to create textured, flat pieces
- A rare interview with enigmatic and cherished photographer, Nguan
- Karen Asher photographs the people and happenings of Winnipeg, Canada
- Nieves founder Benjamin Sommerhalder shares his passion for books and zines
- Parker Day's lurid colours and grotesque characters elevate identity and fantasy (NSFW)
- Paper reveals Break the Internet take two, with Nicki Minaj shot by Ellen von Unwerth
- Bea de Giacomo photographs the wonders of pregnancy
- Matthieu Lavanchy recreates food emojis "irl" for The Gourmand's tenth issue
- Introducing Broccoli, the publication “normalising cannabis use, especially for women”
- One Step Ahead: we meet Paula Scher, the trailblazing Pentagram Partner