Appealing to Easter egg fans and Ikeaphiles alike, a hidden detail of the Ikea Place app allows users to place a “magical” wardrobe anywhere and travel through its doors to a secret portal.
The app uses augmented reality to allow shoppers to see Ikea furniture at scale in real life scenarios, so you can see what that bookcase will really look like in your living room. But as users are beginning to discover and share on Twitter, if you place one particular wardrobe in front of you on the app, you can walk through and enter a parallel universe akin to Narnia. Although this alternate world is decidedly less fantastical than Narnia – it’s an ordinary Ikea warehouse. From inside the warehouse you can peruse the stacked shelves of boxed furniture, and look back on the real world behind you.
To try out the portal, open the Ikea Place app, press the plus button until your phone vibrates and place the flatpack wardrobe somewhere, then climb in. You need an iPhone 6S or above with iOS 11 or an Android phone with ARCore.
- Yang Qi’s work expresses a strong Chinese and German cultural background
- Jenny Schweitzer's latest documentary explores gender, competition, and chess
- Ronan McKenzie curates I'm Home, an exhibition exploring the black British female experience
- Photographer Andrea Artemisio's wacky realisations breathe fresh air into magazine editorial
- Deep Throat Studio may have been borne out of failure but it thrives today
- Sunny Side Up: a fake new exhibition by Sunny, a fake artist
- Record Label Logo Archive Vol.1 is a music nerd's dream come true
- Rudeboy: The Story of Trojan Records documents the origins of Jamaican and British youth culture
- Good Type’s new fonts continue to rivet the typographic community
- An interview with Pentagram's latest partner, Astrid Stavro
- The internet responds to Banksy’s self-destructive act of art
- Welcome to World Mental Health Day 2018 on It's Nice That