A new initiative from audio equipment manufacturer Shure and music streaming platform Mixcloud aims to define the audio creators shaping the future sonic landscape. Shure24 is a list of 24 emerging sound designers selected by Holly Herndon, Yuri Suzuki, James Lavelle and Santigold, which spans sound production, sound design, live recording, audio journalism, podcasting and more. Kazim Rashid, creative director at Mixcloud, says there’s “never before been a definitive platform that celebrates and cultivates creators from across the audio world,” making this initiative vitally important for the rapidly changing industry.
Among Herndon’s nominees are producer and DJ Debit, filmmaker, installation artist and producer Hibotep, and sound artist and composer Jules Gimbrone. Lavelle selected video director and singer Miink and Hannah Brodrick, founder of Women in Live Music. Santigold nominated rapper Freshie and singer-songwriter Velvet Negroni, among others. Suzuki picked sound artist and composer Miyu Hosoi; creative studio Counterpoint, which he has collaborated with on projects such as the recent Welcome Chorus; at Turner Contemporary Margate; and field recorder and musician Kyoka. The full list can be viewed here.
All 24 nominees are also eligible for the Audience Choice Awards, wherein the public is encouraged vote for their favourite. The top four will receive a mentoring session with one of the curators and the opportunity to create a podcast detailing their personal story.
Santigold commented in a statement about the list: “Shure24 is such a cool project in that it offers a much-needed platform to shine some light on new and up-and-coming artists, which is important nowadays because the market is so flooded with constant releases by endless artists.” She adds: “As an artist, I know how great it feels to know that other artists appreciate your work and what powerful encouragement that can be.”
- Brecht Vandenbroucke is back and his illustrations are even more twisted
- YiMiao Shih's embroidered epic imagines Brexit politics with bunnies
- Gut Magazine returns with a new issue and its aesthetic is even more anti-slick than before
- Florian Karsten on designing websites and typefaces for the long term
- Digo Studio experiments with immersive videos, talking AI robots and 3D campaigns
- Meet Alex Weir, the illustrator embodying Scottish identity through MS Paint
- Facebook rebrands to distinguish the company from the app
- Jack Kenyon photographs the wondrous spectacle of the Supreme Cat Show
- &Walsh designs Zooba's identity inspired by the busy streets of Cairo
- A book chronicling tiny, bizarre treasures curated by Wes Anderson and Juman Malouf
- Find hidden squares and experimental inktraps in Fatih Hardal's FH Giselle
- Pentagram’s Giorgia Lupi on her data-driven designs for & Other Stories