Bob and Roberta Smith, David Adjaye, Anna Wintour, Chris Ofili, Ryan Gander and Victoria Beckham are among the creatives on the New Year honours list for 2017.
Bob and Roberta, real name Patrick Brill, will receive an OBE for services to the arts, and shared the below on Instagram in response.
Chris Ofili was awarded a CBE and Ryan Gander an OBE, both also for services to art. Christopher Logsdail, founder and director of the Lisson Gallery, will be made OBE for services to the arts, while photographer Don McCullin will receive a knighthood.
Architect David Adjaye will also receive a knighthood as part of a group of 76 awards given by the Foreign and Commonwealth Office to Britons for “exceptional service to Britain overseas”. This list also includes an DBE for Anna Wintour, editor-in-chief of US Vogue.
Victoria Beckham was awarded an OBE for services to the fashion industry, while costume designer Jenny Beavan was made OBE for services to drama production. Willie Walters, the recently retired programme director for fashion at Central Saint Martins, was made OBE for her work in higher education, fashion and the creative industries; and Naim Ibrahim Attallah, chairman of independent publisher Quartet Books, also received an OBE.
Watch Bob and Roberta Smith’s empowering talk at Here 2016.
- Hey presto, it's Best of the Web!
- Paris-based Studio Jimbo creates "impact and power" with punchy poster designs
- Minju An's oddly sinister illustrations depict strange characters and floating bread
- Friday Mixtape: Warpaint's Glastonbury picks
- Karifurav Caihua’s weirdly erotic Japanese-inspired illustrations
- High octane Nike China animation gets kids to wear their bandages as a “badge of honour”
- “Evolve or die”: Bloomberg Businessweek creative director Rob Vargas on the magazine’s redesign
- Southbank Centre visual identity redesigned by North, to be a “confident masthead” for the institution
- Photographer Khadija Saye has died in the Grenfell Tower fire, her family confirm
- The Buzzfeed redesign: UK art director Tim Lane talks us through his seven-month overhaul
- Alex Norris’ hilarious three-panelled webcomics are universally appealing
- Fresh Yale grad Franci Virgili applies an academic approach to graphic design