Bob and Roberta Smith, David Adjaye, Anna Wintour, Chris Ofili, Ryan Gander and Victoria Beckham are among the creatives on the New Year honours list for 2017.
Bob and Roberta, real name Patrick Brill, will receive an OBE for services to the arts, and shared the below on Instagram in response.
Chris Ofili was awarded a CBE and Ryan Gander an OBE, both also for services to art. Christopher Logsdail, founder and director of the Lisson Gallery, will be made OBE for services to the arts, while photographer Don McCullin will receive a knighthood.
Architect David Adjaye will also receive a knighthood as part of a group of 76 awards given by the Foreign and Commonwealth Office to Britons for “exceptional service to Britain overseas”. This list also includes an DBE for Anna Wintour, editor-in-chief of US Vogue.
Victoria Beckham was awarded an OBE for services to the fashion industry, while costume designer Jenny Beavan was made OBE for services to drama production. Willie Walters, the recently retired programme director for fashion at Central Saint Martins, was made OBE for her work in higher education, fashion and the creative industries; and Naim Ibrahim Attallah, chairman of independent publisher Quartet Books, also received an OBE.
Watch Bob and Roberta Smith’s empowering talk at Here 2016.
- Spin studio shares its latest work and how to perk up "depressed-looking" v’s
- Animator Dan Castro tackles the intricacies of relationships in this funny short
- “I don't want to lose my connection with the tangible”: illustrator Jack Taylor on his new digital and 3D process
- Greta Thorkels: a graphic designer creating Gilmore Girls zines and record sleeves
- Grégory Michenaud’s ongoing project sees him explore identity in a Hasidic Jewish community
- Photographer Gilleam Trapenberg explores macho culture against rose-tinted skies in Big Papi
- The New York Times Magazine’s new cover is actually a painting
- BBC’s new typeface BBC Reith is designed to improve legibility on screen
- “It needs to be normalised that women masturbate”: meet illustrator Jordyn McGeachin
- Life through the lens of enchanting photographer Vicki King
- Six months in the (enviable) life of photographer Ryan Lowry
- We get to know hilarious and thoughtful illustrator, Ruby Etc