Since 2001, the guys over at YouWorkForThem always seem to be producing exciting creative content from their split Bangkok / Minneapolis offices. Best known for a stacked online store which is home to some nicely developed fonts — but that’s not all, recently they sent through a DVD of a motion feature called The Interpretation and I thought I’d share a few more stills from.
It won’t surprise you to hear that the content of the video is pretty ambiguous and left up to the viewer to really decipher. Michael (Paul Young) and Michael (Cina) describe the piece as “A work of art that explores the relationship between nature, motion and sound” but that doesn’t go close to describing the chasm of lush imagery and movement it opens up. There are references to microbiology, organisms, and organic visuals but don’t fret, the directors aren’t looking to preach or teach, but instead add an essentially beautiful moving canvas of ideas and techniques.
For me, it acts almost as a modern day lava-lamp, happily entertaining itself as background eye-candy as effectively as it reacts to being scrutinised and poured over for it’s duration.
- Ed Carvalho-Monaghan’s line work is translated into knitwear for It’s Nice That’s Unmade collection
- A fierce portrait of the battles, snaps and outrageous outfits of voguing culture from Ewen Spencer
- Artist Andrey Remnev’s hypnotic Russian Medieval-style paintings
- Illustrator Lili des Bellons' chipper images are full of geometric whimsy
- Matt and Dan’s stark graphic posters for Daniel Avery’s Divided Love
- A hotel’s Wes Anderson-esque dated decor and plant life photographed by Ina Niehoff
- Anthony Burrill tells us about his numerous Etsy WORK HARD rip-offs
- “I wouldn’t recommend trying to make it as an illustrator to anyone”: straight-talking McBess
- Jonathan Barnbrook talks us through designing David Bowie's new album artwork
- Japanese illustrator Nimura Daisuke is back with his charmingly naughty gifs
- Back to basics with Davide Di Gennaro’s symbol-heavy design workshop identity
- New Adult Swim project from the bonkers people behind some sexy Craigslist animations