Since 2001, the guys over at YouWorkForThem always seem to be producing exciting creative content from their split Bangkok / Minneapolis offices. Best known for a stacked online store which is home to some nicely developed fonts — but that’s not all, recently they sent through a DVD of a motion feature called The Interpretation and I thought I’d share a few more stills from.
It won’t surprise you to hear that the content of the video is pretty ambiguous and left up to the viewer to really decipher. Michael (Paul Young) and Michael (Cina) describe the piece as “A work of art that explores the relationship between nature, motion and sound” but that doesn’t go close to describing the chasm of lush imagery and movement it opens up. There are references to microbiology, organisms, and organic visuals but don’t fret, the directors aren’t looking to preach or teach, but instead add an essentially beautiful moving canvas of ideas and techniques.
For me, it acts almost as a modern day lava-lamp, happily entertaining itself as background eye-candy as effectively as it reacts to being scrutinised and poured over for it’s duration.
- Artist Howard Fonda captures the vibrancy of summer for Ace & Tate
- Robbie Simon, the jack of all trades and the master of them too
- Mattis Dovier’s weird and wonderful 8-bit dot animation for XXX’s music video
- Jessica Lehrman's photographic document of social revolution, Black Lives Matter and Occupy Wall Street
- Zoe Kao and Huang Wun-Siang find inspiration in the uncertainty of the design process
- Documenting the world in motion: Lauren Tamaki’s illustrations of modern life
- Benedict Redgrove’s beautifully hypnotic film about how a tennis ball is created
- Tommy Cash subverts the tropes of rap videos with a fleshy celebration of the human body (NSFW)
- Ian Davis’ picturesque paintings of bureaucratic dystopia
- Is it ever OK to work for free?
- Pentagram unveils refresh of Mastercard’s brand mark and identity
- Peter Saville and Tate Design Studio create beer can artwork for Switch House pale ale